Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Khorne Daemonkin vs Iron Hands, 01.09.2015

I've missed out on Warhammer in the past few weeks, so I was more than eager to jump back into the campaign. However, the Chaos side has been doing well - too well, in fact, and my Space Marine opponent objected to the lack of balance. So, here goes a regular game!

Mission: Tactical Escalation

Map: Hammer and Anvil

Lists: 1000 points

Khorne Daemonkin: Blood Host Detachment

  1. Slaughtercult 
    • Chaos Lord with Kor'lath, Axe of Ruin (Warlord trait: Destined for Glory)
    • 8 Bloodletters with Bloodreaper
    • 9 Bloodletters with Bloodreaper
    • 5 Possessed
    • 2x Chaos Spawn
  2. Auxiliary: Warmachine
    • Soul Grinder with Phlegm Bombardment
  3. Command
    • Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster
This is my old list, the one I tried out against the Tyranids.

Space Marines (Iron Hands): Combined Arms Detachment

  • Lvl 2 Librarian, divination
  • 5-man Devastator squad, 4 lascannons
  • 2x 10-man Tactical Squad, plasma gun, plasma cannon, dedicated Rhino
  • Thunderfire cannon
  • 3x Land Speeder squadron, heavy bolter + Typhoon missile launcher

Deployment



I deployed first and took first turn. Here you have my two Spawn in cover, along with the Bloodthirster and the Soul Grinder, deployed as far as possible. The Bloodletters form konga lines to objectives. The Possessed are hiding with the Lord out of line of sight.

Devastators in the tower and half a Tactical squad in the ruins.

Khorne Daemonkin, turn 1.


In true Daemonkin fashion, everything (except the Possessed) surged forward, seeking close combat. The Bloodthirster swooped onto the ruined tower.

Iron Hands, turn 1.

 Rhinos zipping forward, taking objectives.

The Thunderfire cannon decimated one squad of Bloodletters. The lascannons hurt the Soul Grinder. Besides 2 HP, it also got immobilized - this was a huge blow. One Spawn was killed, granting First Blood.

Turn 2.

The Bloodthirster went into gliding mode, everything else moved forward. I got off a charge with the other Spawn, leaving a Rhino at 1 HP.

The Space Marines immediately went into action, disembarking and shooting everything in range.




The Bloodthirster survived at 1 wound, the Soul Grinder at 1 HP. The Spawn died.

Khorne Daemonkin, turn 3.

...and this is where my scheme failed. At this point, I wanted to have 7 Blood Tithe points to turn my Lord into a Daemon Prince and a Bloodthirster, and turn the game around. I only had 6.

I assaulted the Marines with the Bloodletters, but whiffed the attack rolls horribly. I also charged the Bloodthirster in the Tactical Squad in the ruin. He attacked last due to terrain, and died to a krak grenade before doing anything.

Iron Hands, turn 3.

 This combat went on for a turn.
 The Marines were almost untouched.
The Grinder finally died to lascannon fire.

Khorne Daemonkin, turn 4.

 Better late than never, I turned my Lord into a Daemon Prince. The Bloodthirster given by the Axe of Ruins naturally teleported onto the church, rolled a 1 on the mishap table and promptly died. It would have been too little, too late, anyway.


I was still in the lead with 2 victory points, but there were still a lot of objectives to be pulled, and I had no more units to capture with.

Iron Hands, turn 4.

In a risky maneuver, the Land Speeders moved forwards to capture objective 1.

Meanwhile, the cannon eliminated the Bloodletters who finally beat the Marines in close combat.

Turn 5.

At this point, I was lagging behind with not much to pull me ahead. I just wanted to see how the Possessed handle themselves in combat.


Well, until now, I thought they were a huge penalty. But there you go, 3 Possessed killed 3 Land Speeders! Rage plus the third result on their table gave 5 attacks/model, at S6 due to Furious Charge.

My opponent played his turn, then I surrendered. I actually asked him whether he thought I could do anything else better; he suggested to just bring the Lord forwards and let him die ASAP. Food for thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment