I basically wanted to see the other end of the stick, and prove that Lannisters can stand up to giants with some tailoring. Surprisingly, I faced a 6/2 list which is not at all how my opponent usually operates. I on the other hand was playing Lannisters as Free Folk: 5/3 with lots of cheap units, and both Robert Strong and Jaime (Kingsguard) for auto-wounds. Game more: A Feast for Crows.
We both placed stakes around the left side objective, but I won the roll-off and placed my opponent's cheeky stakes on his side.
On the left flank, I placed a unit of Poor Fellows with their Champion of the Faith. They moved unto the objective in the second round and stayed there, scoring points every turn.
The real game went down on the other flank.
Two spear throwers were well enough to harass my units. With Vicious and bad morale, I was losing models all around. However, I did not lose any units, and I spread Weakened tokens all around, which I noticed was a good tactic against giants.
Then I made a play to win on points: march Robert Strong and his Pikemen on to the objective. I planned to stay there just one turn to score an extra point, hoping that Resilience and Set for Charge would protect me/discourage charges. Then, a quick withdrawal would leave me at a points advantage, and I would string the giants out for the remainder of the game.
However, I did not count on the Trample card being actually useful for once. One giant went over my unit, blocking the retreat. I managed to finagle multiple maneuvers to keep safe, but in the end three giants focused down and killed the unit. Same with the Pyromancers sent in to prolong the conflict.
In the center, Mag charged Tywin but I sent in Jaime to tie him up and retreated the boss. However, a spear thrower rolled a 6, Weakened -> reroll into a 6, killing Tywin.
Even so, the game ended 10-8.
So in the end a loss, but consider multiple factors:
- I tried to kill Varamyr with morale checks, as Lannisters do. I couldn't, but it was a possibility. Removing that extra game piece would have swung the game in my favor early on.
- Nobody expects the Trample card. Without that, my plan would have worked.
- Even with all this, without the unexpected 6, the game would have ended 10-9.
- So all in all, very close. I am happy with how the list performed!




No comments:
Post a Comment