Sunday, May 17, 2015

Magnetized bases

You may have noticed that my models are mounted on thin discs instead of regular bases. They're on metallic washers, which thus stick to magnetized bases - both square and round. This is how I keep my army compatible with both Warhammer40k and Warhammer Fantasy.


Note. I've written about this before, when I've made my wargaming/blogging "debut" at Wargames Romania. If you've read all that, feel free to skip this; this is mostly a mashup/rewrite/expansion of my earlier article. Also feel free to check out that blog. It features beautifully painted miniatures and some expert advice, as well as a web shop.

Introduction


I'm lazy enough to lift this paragraph from an earlier post, Where to start your Warhammer hobby?:
The third step (as suggested on some forums) was to combine my 40k and Fantasy armies. As you may know, one is a fantasy setting, while the other is sci-fi. Not a chance? Ha! Ideas include: running fantasy Orcs as 40k (space) Orks (bows count as shootas) and running Empire gunners as Imperial Guard (just say they're a regiment raised on a backwater feudal world). Then there's the entire army called Chaos Daemons/Daemons of Chaos, which are 100% compatible. The only thing in the way are the bases (round vs square), but that can be solved by magnetizing. (I'll post about that later.) This got me sold completely, and soon enough I got my daemons army up and running.
As you may have guessed by now, I went with Daemons and magnetized bases. So let's get down to business!

Magnetizing techniques


I've spent a fair amount of time reading up forums. I've gathered three ways to magnetize bases:
  • magnetize both the round and the square base, then glue the model on the smaller one. e.g. for a Daemon model, which uses the 25mm bases, you would glue it on the round base. It would then fit snugly on the square base, and the magnets would make it stick.
  • glue the model on the round (40k) base, and use movement trays for Fantasy.
  • magnetize both bases and glue the model on a piece of metal. Thus it would stick to both bases, depending on what you're playing.
Now all of these have their merit. They also have their drawbacks. 
The first one results in probably the least work needed. However, it looks downright silly. Not to mention that on the tabletop, some of your models would be on double bases, and some on single bases, depending on which is the smaller - round or square. If I spend a lot of time painting up my models, I expect them to look good in games!
The second approach is the cheapest (least magnets used), but needs the most work (for the movement trays). If you want to get your models on the tabletop for Warhammer Fantasy quickly (like I did), it's easier to just glue magnets onto bases. You would also run into trouble with models that have a larger round base than the appropriate square one.
The third approach is the most flexible, given that you can find an appropriate metallic support. As a hidden benefit, a piece of metal just above the base greatly improves the balance of the model. Those pesky standard bearers should no longer fall on their face all the time! This is the path that I ultimately took.

My magnetized bases


I bought a load of 25mm metallic washers (as well as some larger ones) from the local appliance superstore. They proved to be excellent for this job, from every perspective. A rare earth magnet, glued below the base, attracts the washer sufficiently such that you can lift the whole thing by holding the model. It won't move either if you're careful. 

Here are some old pictures of magnetized infantry bases, and how they look like with the models attached:

Irridescent Horror on washer.

The whole squad of Pink Horrors, on square bases.

Daemonettes on round bases.

Bloodletters on round and square bases.

Since then I have field-tested my models, and this is what I can add:

  • putting on the magnetic bases is a chore. After the 20th infantry model I've stuck on the base, my first opponent flipped out, and asked what size the washer is. After I told him it's 25mm - the same size as the base, he asked me to use my models without the actual base - just the washer. I've been doing that ever since in 40k.
  • you'll still need movement trays for Warhammer Fantasy. Hordes of 40+ models can't live without them. I'll build some magnetized trays later on.

Non-infantry bases



Cavalry and beast models use bigger bases than infantry, but they can be magnetized using the same technique. The key issue is that, although the bases are longer, they are of the same width. Also, the models touch the base on a small surface - these cavalry mounts for example have only two legs.
I had to cut through a good bit of plastic to get the magnets in there.

Seeker of Slaanesh

Warhounds of Chaos (posing as Flesh Hounds of Khorne)

It gets more complicated when the bases are much bigger - monstrous beasts have 50x50mm square, respectively 50mm diameter circle bases. After some trial-and-error, I’ve found that two magnets placed at almost perfect positions can hold all three kinds of metallic washers.

The magnets fit really tightly into the square base, with no danger of falling off.
 
Screamers of Tzeentch. These creatures have a round “flying base” that is only a little larger than an actual infantry base, so a regular 25mm washer is a good fit.
The nurgling swarm touches the base on a much larger surface, so I used bigger, 30mm washers instead.
These two Chaos Spawn have different positions. One has its legs spread further apart, so it required an even bigger, 35mm washer.


Future magnetization projects


I've got quite a lot here.
  1. magnetized weapon arms. I've already magnetized the right arm of my Soul Grinder. I want to experiment with some smaller models - maybe have a Bloodletter that can switch from a regular hand to holding a standard or instrument.
  2. magnetized movement trays. I've tried using a wooden plank as a movement tray. It went horribly, everything kept falling off. I'll try gluing on a magnetic sheet, and we'll see where that gets me.
  3. magnetized scenic bases. I want to give something special to some models that require large bases but are themselves small, like the metal Bloodthirster I got from eBay.
  4. magnetized chariots. I've got a Skull Cannon/Blood Throne and a Burning Chariot half assembled each. I want to assemble them using magnets, such that I can switch from one form to another, depending on what I want to field.
  5. magnetized weapon mounts. I have some friendly Space Marine players, and I'll try my hand at magnetizing jets and tanks.
All right, that was it. Post a comment if you want to share your experiences with magnets, or want to ask a question!

No comments:

Post a Comment