Thursday, June 14, 2018

Painting a mimic

Introduction


This miniature was a gift from a fellow DM, accompanied by a plot twist/quest/adventure idea, which may or may not be applied in due time.


Painting


Prime


In black. I decided to place the mimic on a cobblestone base, for lack of a better idea.


Cobblestone


I borrowed from my urban cobblestone painting tip, but took it a bit further. The tutorial on how to produce these bases is also coming in the near future.

Heavy drybrush with craft paints, as above.


To differentiate some stones from the others, I selectively drybrushed them with Wolf Grey. If the stones (or the base) were larger, I would consider doing more colors at this step.


Overall wash in Agrax Earthshade. Then selectively dab some Coelia Greenshade in, while still wet. Combine with the stones above to create 4 different shades on the base.


Overall drybrush with Stonewall Grey to bring it together.


Wooden chest


Basecoat Heavy Brown.


Heavy drybrush Beasty Brown.


Mix Beasty Brown and Bonewhite 1:1 and drybrush the upper portion.


Apply two shades with both of them wet: Black Wash around the edges and Reikland Fleshshade in the middle of each panel.


Edge highlight the larger gaps in the wood with Beasty Brown.


Brass bands


Basecoat the bands in Tinny Tin.


Mix in Polished Gold about 1:1 and highlight.


Mix more of the Polished Gold in for about 2:1 and highlight again.


Silver metallics


Just for a bit color variety, I did the handles and other bits in silver.

Basecoat Gunmetal.


Black Wash.


Highlight Chainmail Silver. Pay special attention to the bolts.


Fleshy bits


I borrowed from the Blue Horrors. Basecoat Royal Purple.


Mix in Warlord Purple (about 1:1). The mix was pretty thin, almost glaze-like, so I did several coats.


Basecoat just the tongue in pure Warlord Purple.


Edge highlight Screamer Pink.



Wash the mouth in Carroburg Crimson.


Wash the "foot" in Druchii Violet.


Teeth and skull




Eyes


As per the painting tip, but dot with Gory Red instead of Black.


Base

Glue


As noticeable above, I painted the "body" of the mimic with it pinned to a cork.


I clipped the pin, dry-fit the miniature on the base, and drilled a hole.


Super glue!


Finishing


Prime the bottom of the base. Then paint the bottom and the rim black.


I didn't like how the eyes looked: the red was getting lost amid the browns. So I cleared it up...


... and painted it Electric Blue instead.

I then used UHU glue for the saliva effect. Put some UHU in a disposable plastic container (e.g. a blister pack). Wait for it to dry a bit. I didn't know about this and tried to apply it immediately, but it just kept flowing off from where I placed it. After it dries a bit, use a toothpick to pick up some glue, dab it somewhere (I did this on the top) and string it out to where you want it to connect (the bottom teeth). Repeat until satisfied.


Finished!










No comments:

Post a Comment