Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Daemons vs Chaos Space Marines, 19.04.2016

I decided to try out the new Daemonic Incursion Detachment. Most of the formations require a lot more stuff than I have, except the one I deemed the most powerful and close to my previous playstyle.

Mission: Contact Lost, Dawn of War Deployment

Points limit:  2000 points

Lists:

Chaos Daemons: Daemonic Incursion Detachment

  • Tallyband
    • Herald of Nurgle, level 2 Psyker, Portalyglyph, Locus of Feel no Pain
    • 3x 10-man Plaguebearers, Plagueridden upgrade
    • 4x 3-man Nurglings
  • Daemon Flock
    • 5-man Furies
  • Infernal Tetrad
    • Daemon Prince of Khorne: wings, armor, A'rgath, the King of Blades, 2x greater reward, lesser reward
    • Daemon Prince of Nurgle: wings, armor, Psyker lvl 3, 2x greater reward, lesser reward
    • Daemon Prince of Nurgle: wings, armor, Soulstealer, Psyker lvl 3, 2x greater reward, lesser reward
    • Daemon Prince of Tzeentch: wings, the Impossible Robe, Psyker lvl 3, 2x greater reward, lesser reward, Warlord
So, basically, a Flying Circus with T6 Daemon Princes (our prayers have been answered!) kitted out to the max, with cheapest core and aux options available.
I got an excellent warlord trait (+1 to invulnerable saves), which left my Tzeentch Prince with a rerollable 2+. I also got a healthy spread of Rerolling Invulnerables from daemonic gifts. Other rolls were not so lucky. The Nurgle Prince had an Etherblade, a Greater Etherblade and a Balesword (useless, I know). The Slaaneshi Prince was kitted out for Range, with a Lash and a lance shot. No Iron Arm or D-strength shooty powers.

Chaos Space Marines

  • Mayhem Pack
    • 2x Helbrute with Heavy Bolter & Flamer
    • Helbrute with Melta & Flamer
  • CAD
    • Daemon Prince of Nurgle, the Black Mace, Warlord
    • Chaos Lord with Jump pack, Burning Brand of Skalathrax
    • 2x 10-man Chaos Space Marines with Flamer and Heavy Bolter, in Rhinos
    • 7-man Havocs, 5 Heavy Bolters
    • Helbrute, with Flamer & Heavy Bolter
    • Chaos Predator with Heavy Bolters & Autocannon
    • Heldrake, Hades Autocannon
    • Raptors, 2 meltas
    • Defiler with Battlecannon, Heavy Bolter and Flamer
Apparently, the opponent expected an infantry swarm. Truth to be told, that amount of S5 shooting could easily take down some T5 Daemon Princes. 

Deployment


Daemon Princes spread out (top to bottom: Slaanesh, Khorne, Nurgle, Tzeench). Furies in deep strike to avoid giving First Blood.
Mayhem Pack in deeps strike reserve, Heldrake flying in.

Chaos Space Marines, turn 1.

Most units swept forward, then unleashed a lot of shooting. Fortunately, only a couple of Nurglings got hurt. The Prince with the Black Mace went into swooping mode.

Daemons, turn 1.


I responded in kind, by jumping forward all my Daemon Princes. Plaguebearers advanced, hindered by difficult terrain.
The Tzeentch Prince blew up the Rhino on the bottom with psychic shooting, and took a wound due to Perils. The Marines that got out failed their test and fired only snapshots next turn.
I deployed the Portalglyph and got some Pink Horrors, and also summoned a Herald of Tzeentch for extra warp charges.

Chaos Space Marines, turn 2.

Bolter and plasma fire reduced my Nurglings, but they still hold the objective due to Daemonic Infestation (Daemonette placed as marker).

Autocannon fire took off 2 wounds from the Slaaneshi Prince. Nurglings died to Soul Blaze. Still, I have lost no units so far.
The Mayhem Pack jumped in all around the board, except the one that mishapped, and I placed it in the far left corner.

Daemons, turn 2.

3 of 4 Daemon Princes got into assault. The result:
Tzeentch Prince killed and overran the Marines that got out from the Rhino.
The Nurgle Prince destroyed the Helbrute that was not part of the Mayhem Pack.
The Khorne Prince destroyed the Defiler (S8 Armorbane).

The Slaaneshi Prince flew over the Predator, and unleashed 2d6 S7 shots and a lance shot, destroying it.
The Plaguebearers and the Herald of Nurgle assaulted the Raptors, killing all but one.

Chaos Space Marines, turn 3.


The Heldrake tried to hunt down the Slaaneshi Prince, but 4++/4+FnP meant all wounds were saved.


The Helbrute tried to charge the Tzeentch Prince, but failed.

The Chaos Lord with the Burning Brand fried some Pink Horrors.


The Daemon Prince landed behind my lines.

At this point (top of turn 3), I had a small lead in points. However, I had total board control, and would probably delete at least 3 more units during my turn. Moreover, the shop was closing - these 3 rounds had lasted almost 4 hours! So we decided to finish there, with my opponent calling the game.

Conclusion

  • Daemons are viable again!
  • Infernal Tetrad for the win. Although I have to admit that I was lucky with most of my rolls for Daemonic Gifts. Then again, I had some useless ones, and some useless Psychic powers, too.
  • Feel no Pain Aura for the Herald of Nurgle is priceless.
  • Detachment rules are OK.
  • The match was not very fun, as it was mostly one-sided. Perhaps some tailoring could help the Chaos marines. Or I should go against a stronger army. Then again, I brought the best formations that I could field with my current models (even so, I had to proxy Nurglings and the Herald).

No comments:

Post a Comment