Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Chaos Daemons vs Blood Angels, 2017.06.20

For my first 8th edition match, I played against an old opponent: the Blood Angels. Even with all the hype surrounding 8th edition, I could barely find the time for this match - never mind the blog post.

Points: 1000

Lists:

Daemons of Chaos: Battalion Detachment +3 CP

  • Daemon Prince of Nurgle (CD), wings, sword and talons, warlord
  • Great Unclean One
  • Herald of Nurgle
  • 10-man Plaguebearers
  • 30-man Plaguebearers, icon, instrument
  • 3-man Nurglings
  • 5-man Furies of Nurgle

Blood Angels: Vanguard Detachment +1 CP

  • Dante, warlord
  • Mephiston
  • 5-man Terminators, with assault cannon
  • 5-man Death Company, 1 power axe
  • Razorback, assault cannon 
  • 5-man Death Company, 1 thunder hammer
  • Razorback, assault cannon 

Mission: The Scouring, Vanguard Deployment

Deployment


With alternating deployment, the Blood Angels finished first. Everything was on the table in a middle blob, but the two Death Company squads were safely huddled in their Razorbacks.
I put the huge squad of Plaguebearers in the middle, bubblewrapping the Great Unclean One and the Herald. I feared deep striking Terminators until they were deployed on the table, so I then put the Daemon Prince in ruins for +1 save. Furies on the left flank, mischief-maker Nurglings on the right.


The Herald is proxied by a lone Plague Marine. Across the table, a Rhino and Predator proxy the Razorbacks.
Through good fortune, I got the extra valuable objective in my deployment zone, and the Blood Angels got the less valuable one.

Daemons, turn 1


The Blood Angels player counted on me marching up without any shooting to do, then charging me with the Death Company, so he gave me first turn.


I obliged him, then proceeded to Smite the Terminators to death.


I count 3 dead Terminators a successful psychic phase!

Blood Angels, turn 1


The Plaguebearers were slow enough not to advance too far up the field, leaving the Death Company to face some long-bomb charges. They preferred to stay inside their transports. Instead, the assault cannons opened up... with pretty good results.


I used two CPs to have the Plaguebearers pass their morale test, to the great disappointment of my opponent. The Blood Angels then set to receive my charges.


Daemons, turn 2


The blob and the bubble wrapped characters advance, with the Daemon Prince closing in on the left. The 10-man Plaguebearers squad reaches the valuable objective, holding it for the rest of the game.


The Plaguebearers charged first, eating all the overwatch from two Razorbacks and the Terminators. The Furies and Daemon Prince then went in. The Great Unclean One failed, leaving him stranded in the middle. Unfortunately, I did not managed to kill anything outright.


Blood Angels, turn 2


Set for the countercharges as the Death Company pile out of their transports! Dante jumped behind my Daemon Prince, intent on eliminating him.


Both Razorbacks retreated, so only the assaulting marines shot, shaving off wounds the Prince and the Great Unclean One. Then everything charged.
Dante fought first, doing very well against the Prince, but I made an inordinate amount of saves, going down to just 5 wounds. I then interrupted to smack the Death Company with the Prince, killing some and probably saving myself from certain death. The Great Unclean One managed to kill the Death Company attacking him, thanks to being buffed with psychics and auras.


Daemons, turn 3


I failed to heal the Prince with psychics. I timed it wrong, and Mephiston managed to deny the power. However, I did bring in my Great Unclean One to face off Dante and killed him off.


Blood Angels, turn 3


The far Razorback, thus far unhurt, moved in to shoot, smacking the Prince down to 1 wound. Mephiston, desperate, took a risk and overcharged his plasma, contributing to the hurting of the Prince.


The Razorback still held on with 1 wound left. The damn thing was unkillable. Of course, it was also useless. With crippled movement, it could never retreat far enough not to be engaged again in the fight phase.


Daemons, turn 4


The hammer falls as the Daemon Prince flies behind Mephiston and the Great Unclean One closes in on the unhurt Razorback.


But here comes a chain of unexpected events! The Prince charges in, but fails to kill Mephiston, leaving him at 2 wounds. Sacrificing the last CPs, the psyker kills the Daemon Prince. Then the Furies manage to bring down the Razorback, which explodes! and kills both the remaining Furies as well as Mephiston!


With only a Razorback alive, and in combat with the Great Unclean One and the Herald, the Blood Angels conceded.

Aftermath


Tactical errors were abundant in this game, on both sides. The Blood Angels gave up free shooting along with the first turn. I adapted with difficulty to the removing of models by myself, and did not open the bubble wrap fast enough for the Great Unclean One inside to charge. However, we both had fun. Also, neither of our armies looked unplayable and weak. I'd say 8th edition is off to a good start!

No comments:

Post a Comment