Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Rotation magnets on Screamers of Tzeentch

Introduction


In short, Screamers are the only models I have mounted on flying stands, and I hate them. All three of them have broken off the stands a couple of times, and have been glued and glued again, as seen in the picture.


I decided to mount them on rotation magnets instead.

Magnetizing


First I broke off the flying stand, then used a hobby knife and drill to scoop out the glued-in bit of plastic.


I bought size M magnets, which didn't fit the hole, so I stuffed some putty into the hole and stuck the ball part of the magnet in that.


The magnet part has a hole in it, conveniently sized to the exact thickness of a GW flying stand.




Fix the flying stand in the base and we're done!




Zoom away!

Paint


As an afterthought, I painted the putty blue. First prime it white by brush:


Then paint using Magic Blue.


As a side note, if you use a hobby knife on an already painted model, you're gonna have a bad time. Even though I took utmost care, I scraped off the paint in several places. I corrected each using a spot of primer and a bit of blue paint. Fortunately, the underside of Screamers is not very visible in most cases.

Finished!








No comments:

Post a Comment