Monday, November 19, 2018

Review: Death Guard models

I got my hands on some of the starter set models, as well as a regular Foetid Bloat Drone kit.

Disclaimer: I'm a little late for a review, as I bought these minis about a year ago. I expected to quickly go through and paint them, and have them painted in the pictures. That did not happen, and I don't know when will I get to them, so here goes.



Cool factor: 10/10. One word: Fleshmower. Let that sink in. Fleshmower. *drops mic*


Poseability: 1/10 N/A. Well, except the Bloat Drone kit. It looks like all the starter set models are mono-pose, which is the same gripe, times 10, that I had with the Blue Horror kit. They are imposing and somewhat dynamic (at least as dynamic as shambling zombies can be), but completely shut off to conversions. One-piece heads and arms, or backs and arms, and only one way to assemble them. Sure, they are cool. But your Poxwalkers have the exact same poses as the other guy's Poxwalkers. Your 3 Malignant Plaguecasters all have the exact same pose. Heavens forbid you want a nice looking army with a unique color scheme. You'll have 3 identical models. I'm thinking of doing mine in the colors of different vectoriums (successor warbands) of the Death Guard. Yes, you can cut them up. But do you really want to do that for each and every model in your army?


Size and clutter: 4/10. Compare this old metal Plague Marine to the new plastic starter set Plague Marine, Plaguecaster, Blightbringer and Lord of Contagion. The old Plague Marine is "clean" (as far as modeling perspective goes), while the new guys have all sorts of bells and whistles (or, more accurately, censers, bells and chains, smoke etc) hanging around. This is exactly why I did not even try to buy the new Plague Marines. Let the characters stand out, but let the rank-and-file models be exactly that. Plus, the new guys are HUGE. The Lord of Contagion stands on a 60mm base. Same as a Daemon Prince! Stop that!


Alas, I still love Nurgle, so I reluctantly give a 5/7 to the new Death Guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment