Thursday, July 16, 2020

Extended base for the Reaper Fire Demon / Bloodthirster

Introduction


The Fire Demon/Bloodthirster's included base is roughly 60mm in diameter. I glued it on a regular plastic base (as the underside is irregular) to make sure everything is precisely as specified. Then, I magnetized it a 120x92mm oval base, for usage in Age of Sigmar/Warhammer 40k.

Magnets


I glued 3 metallic washers to the underside of the small base, and I glued 3 already magnetized 25mm round bases to the large base, each having a 5mm magnet.

Rocks


First, I roughly emulated the terrain the model is standing on the inner base with several layers of cork. I roughed up thin pieces just by tearing at them with my fingers, then glued them on using PVA glue.


Corpses


Initially, I just wanted to paint it grey and do some blood splatters / bushes (see the Bone Dragon), but then I remembered this gem hiding in a box. Like any good hoarder, I bought it and never used it... until now.


I glued the corpse bits across the rocks in front of the Bloodthirster using superglue. Unfortunately, the backs of the bits are uneven, so it looked liked they are hovering on air...


So I filled in the empty spaces with home made putty. I watered it down heavily to a sludge-like consistency, then used a sculpting tool to push it into the recesses.


It dried like this:


Of course, it's not a perfect adhesive. I wanted to prevent any pieces falling off, so I sealed it tight with PVA glue.


Grey rocks. 

Paint the corpses: medium skintone, eyes, blond hair. Paint the exposed innards and joints Bonewhite, wash Carroburg Crimson.



Highlight the exposed bones using Bonewhite.


Gore


Blood for the Blood God! Also, literally. Apply on the large open wounds and the surrounding rocks.


There is also room for more subtle effects, such as a nosebleed.


... or blood coming out of this guy's mouth.


UHU glue and Tamiya Clear Red for stringy gore effect


Finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment