Monday, October 30, 2023

The adventures of Legorlas Green Leaf: Into the dungeon

I skipped two sessions right after I joined the party and I might stay an occasional visitor. Still, I'm always happy to rip and tear through enemies in bear form. Yes, this happened plenty during this session.

So anyway, after we defeated the enemies in the goblin castle, the adventurers fought some more then retreated to Phandalin, which they found devastated by the icy attacks of a dragon. Some villagers have been kidnapped and they had 2 days to rescue them. Obviously, they decided to go another way, right into a mega-dungeon. They tore through some undead and other monsters, then decided to shorten the dungeon crawl and only have the interesting encounters pop up. Enter Legorlas, just back from a ritual to save the soul of his twin brother, Legholas, killed by a mighty devil. I told them all about it during a short rest. Those who were already full played midget spinner.

On we went, right into a huge hall covered in bones. The paladin had a bad feeling about it, and soon enough red lines tore through the floor. Animated by the foul necromancy, skeletons attacked us (represented by the dice).

I originally kept to the back of the party, just in case a rearguard was needed, as all the tank-type characters marched up front. This proved to be an excellent idea, as more and more waves of skeletons entered the rooms. Our cleric turned the undead, but most of them resisted. Our wizard cast web, and I held up any that tried to walk past. Their touch paralyzed me, and I soon fell. 

Retcon! Their paralytic touch does not affect elves. Not even in bear form. As the others fought against the wandering undead, I held up 8 at once. Roar!

A solution came up to the undead problem as well, as the paladin found the first skull emanating red light. He bashed it apart, then looked for another one.

By the time the party destroyed the second artefact, the situation was quite dire. The skeletons paralyzed the cleric, thus disabling healing. I succumbed to concentrated attacks as well, and lay on the bones, failing death saves. Our brave, brave wizard lured the undead into his web, then turned invisible, earning a reprieve.

Fire burned through the web, helping out with the undead. The cleric came to, cast Aid, then got paralyzed again. Enough for the wizard to escape and stabilize me.

The paladin raced around the web to the tune of Benny Hill, trying to reach me with a lay on hands. However, at the final step, he also got paralyzed.

At this point, when all hope seemed lost, we discovered the third artefact - right in the middle of the web. 

The wizard ran up to bash it, but fell. The rogue shot it, but fell. With a final effort, the cleric healed up the barbarian, who ran in and smashed it to pieces.

The undead disintegrated over the course of two turns, just enough time for everybody to get stabilized.

Victory!

...and then a discussion about how to wring information out of the DM, how to apply knowledge checks and what to ask further, teamwork, paying attention to each other, etc.

At least I was completely satisfied with the evening. This was the second outing for my character, with him being relegated to backline support in the tight corridors of the previous dungeon. This time, I did everything I wanted to. Bear form rocks. I bit and clawed, roared for flavor, took immense amount of damage and healed it back up, shouted out puns and held up probably half the total amount of enemies.

Legorlas, you beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment