Thursday, January 15, 2015

Chaos Daemons vs Space Marines/Blood Angels 13.01.2015

Time for a Warhammer 40k battle report!
We had an excellent game night at our friendly gaming store yesterday. We played two 40k matches simultaneously, both 2v1 (2x500 vs 1x1000 points).
I'm going for a detailed report on my own game (obviously).
Scenario: 
I was 1000 points Chaos Daemons:
  • 20 Bloodletters, special icon, instrument, Bloodreaper
  • 20 Daemonetters, special icon, instrument, Alluress
  • Herald of Khorne, greater locus (Rage), etherblade (AP2, master crafted)
  • Herald of Slaanesh, minor locus (move through cover), etherblade, Psyker 1
  • Daemon Prince of Slaanesh, armor, etherblade, FnP 4+, Lash of Despair, Psyker 3 (all biomancy: iron arm, warp speed, smite)
The Blood Angels player went for a simple list:
  • 5-man tactical squad
  • 4-man death company, one Thunderhammer
  • Astorath the Grim
While the Iron Hands player crammed everything possible into 500 points:
  • 5-man scout squad with sniper rifles
  • 5-man tactical squad with plasma gun
  • 5-man tactical squad with plasma cannon
  • Librarian with digital weapons, full telepathy (hallucinations and invisibility)
  • Razorback with assault cannon
  • Land speeder with missile launcher
Deployment:


I deployed first and set up everybody mostly in cover. I've also spread out my guys to be able to cover the whole table. My opponents deployed everything in a corner.
Fortunately I was supposed to start, so I wasn't really worried - I thought I'd be able to move up everything against them in time.
... but they rolled 6 on steal the initiative. And they obliterated the screamers on the first turn. There goes First Blood and my chance to rush the tank.
My turn! Time to move up all my guys. Warp storm... 3. The Herald of Slaanesh dies.
(At this point I realized that it says "Character" and not "Independent Character", so I rolled again, including the two unit champions too. Result: the Daemon Prince dies. My opponents allowed me to keep my previous result, as 300 points of Daemon Prince dieing on the first turn would mean the end of the game for me. Thanks guys!)
You can see below the Bloodletters hunkering down behind some boxes, and everything else running across the table.


On the next two turns, I kept everybody moving in the general direction of the space marines, while they kept shooting everything they had at the Bloodletters and the Daemon Prince. The Bloodletters were decimated and eventually wiped out without ever seeing close combat. The Daemon Prince proved untouchable with T7-8 3+/5++ FnP 4+


On turn 5 I finally got the DP into close combat. Time to wipe out the scouts! Or not. The scout sergeant challenged the DP. Obviously he got hammered into the ground, but the squad remained in close combat. The game continues.


The Daemonettes finally got into close combat and wipe out a tactical squad. Librarian casted invisibility on scouts to tarpit the Daemon Prince, but they died.
At this point I needed to kill as many as possible to win, while they needed to stall and end the game to win by victory points.
Invisible Death Company and Astorath charge the Daemon Prince. I challenged Astorath and battled for two turns before murdering him. Meanwhile Daemonettes fight the rest of the enemy.

Final turn: 3 Death Company die. The remaining one with the Thunderhammer kills the Daemon Prince.
The tacticals and the Librarian kill the Daemonettes.
Victory for the Space Marines!

What went well for me?
  • Daemon Prince setup. Iron arm did wonders with the extra toughness. Warp speed worked well for the extra attacks. The strength and initiative bonuses were  useless. FnP from greater reward was also a miracle.
What went well for the opponent?
  • Steal the initiative and killing the screamers on the first turn. 
  • Psychic powers for the librarian. Hallucination destroyed half the Bloodletters (they hit themselves 2-3 times). Invisibility greatly delayed and hampered the Daemon Prince in close combat.

What could have I done better?
  • Better deployment. The Daemonettes were too far to the left and took a lot of time to get into the action. I should have stacked everything in the middle. The Bloodletters would still have been wiped out I think, but at least the Daemonettes would have got there faster.
  • Winged Daemon Prince. It would have gotten into CC faster. Don't know how it would have fared all alone though...



No comments:

Post a Comment