Friday, February 27, 2015

Chaos Daemons vs Ultramarines, 24.02.2015

Time to face some more Space Marines.

Mission: The Emperor's will
Map: Dawn of War
Lists:
Chaos Daemons:
  • 14 Bloodletters, icon, instrument, Bloodreaper, in deep strike reserve
  • 10 Bloodletters, instrument (intended for objective holding)
  • 5 Seekers, icon, instrument (intended to rush forward and provide precision deep strikes)
  • 3 Screamers
  • Skarbrand warlord, in deep strike reserve
  • Daemon Prince of Slaanesh, greater + exalted gift, lvl 3 Psyker (got Riftbringer and reroll invulnerable saves)
Ultramarines:
  • Librarian, lvl 1 Psyker
  • 5 Terminators with 1 assault cannon
  • Land Raider Crusader
  • 5 Sternguard with heavy flamer
  • Razorback, twin linked lascannon
  • 2x5 man tactical squad
  • Dreadnought
Deployment:
Marine bunker around one objective.
I put 10 Bloodletters on my objective in a ruin (opposite corner to the marine bunker), next to them the Daemon Prince and Screamers hidden and ready to run across the board. Seekers also hidden, read to feign a charge on the enemy lines and use their icon for precision deep strikes.
This is how it looked after my turn 1:
Nothing much happening. Everything is hiding behind cover and waiting to pop out and assault.
On the marine turn, you can see everything pivoting towards the DP. It was my mistake that I did not see the bottom floor windows on the ruin; I had thought my creature safe and hidden.
Got Nurgle's Rot on the warp storm, got a 6 for the Land Raider, can't hurt it. Yay.

The vehicles fired into the DP and the infantry fired into the Seekers. However they were out of rapid fire range, and after the first couple of casualties, the closest model could take cover saves using the huge rock.
The Prince and the Screamers weren't lucky however.

Turn 2, daemons.
Warp storm result, 2. I got really nervous, but everybody passed their test.
Daemon Prince went into glide mode, jumped out, assaulted a tactical squad, and wiped them out. Got a wound on the overwatch. Talk about bad luck.
Screamers jumped out and charged the Land Raider. Failed their charge and got left in the open.
Bloodletters deep striked successfully. Their icon and instrument combo successfully brought down Skarbrand. They ran; the Bloodletters spaced out, Skarbrand tried to get behind cover. Couldn't get there, ran 1 inch.
(The marines on the far left are casualties.)
Seekers charged the Sternguard, killed 1, got wiped out.
For added hilarity, the DP created 7 Daemonettes using the Riftbringer gift.
So on the surface everything looks good. However, everything is actually out in the open and not very close to the marine lines. The Daemon Prince is down to 1 wound. And I haven't killed anything important.
Marines turn 2.
Tactical doctrine activated in shooting phase. Bloodletters were almost wiped out, got 1 left. Daemon Prince killed. Daemonettes whittled down. Skarbrand got a wound. At this point I shook my opponent's hand. I just played my next turn to see what else I can destroy before going down.
Daemons turn 3.
Don't remember what I got for warp storm; probably something irrelevant.
This is the final state of affairs (apologies for the picture quality). I charged the Razorback with the one remaining Screamer and Skarbrand. It exploded, killed the Screamer and further wounded Skarbrand.
At this point I only had the warlord, 4 Daemonettes, 1 Bloodletter and the squad holding the objective, so I surrendered with an epic handshake.

Things learnt:

  • Shooty bunkers are very hard to crack.
  • Shooty marines work best against Daemons. I got beaten by the same tactic in my second game. I only won when my opponents went for a mixed shooty/choppy army.
  • Remember the rules. Some stuff was forgotten and only clarified after the game.
  • Hide your Daemon Prince. Or at least hide it better than I did.




No comments:

Post a Comment