Friday, June 5, 2015

Chaos Daemons vs Blood Angels, 02.06.2015

Confident after the defeat inflicted upon the Fists, I used the same army list to battle the Blood Angels.

Mission: Cleanse and Control
Map: Vanguard Strike
Lists: 1250 points
Chaos Daemons:
  • 3 Nurglings
  • 10 Pink Horrors, champion, icon, instrument
  • 2x 5-man Furies
  • 5 Seekers of Slaanesh
  • Kairos Fateweaver, warlord
  • Daemon Prince of Nurgle, exalted reward, lvl 3 Psyker, power armor, wings
  • Daemon Prince of Tzeentch, exalted reward, lvl 3 Psyker, power armor, wings
The Nurgle Prince rolled on Biomancy and got the Grimoire of True Names, the Tzeentch Prince on Change/Biomancy and got the Portalglyph.

Blood Angels:
  • Mephiston, Lord of Death
  • 2x 5-man Death Company, with jump packs
  • Furioso Dreadnought in Drop Pod
  • 10-man Tactical Squad with heavy bolter, in a Rhino
  • 10-man Tactical Squad
  • Predator, autocannon, 2x heavy bolter sponsoons
  • Stormraven, assault cannon, multimelta, hurricane bolter sponsoons, extra armor
Mephiston rolled on Divination.

Deployment

The Blood Angels won the roll-off for deployment; they deployed first:
Mephiston has joined one half of the combat-squadded Tacticals. Death Company ready to pounce behind them. The other 10-man Tactical squad is in the Rhino.

I deployed second:
The white-primed model stands for Kairos; the empty base is the Daemon Prince of Tzeentch (he was busy standing in at the painting competition :D); the fat guy is the Daemon Prince of Nurgle. Nurglings have infiltrated behind some cover to hold an objective.

Furies in Deep Strike reserve. Seekers will Outflank.

Blood Angels, turn 1.

Tactical objectives generated:

With no buildings on the board, and Kairos nearly untouchable (or soon to be), the Blood Angels went for Behind Enemy Lines:
We forgot about Drop Pod Assault, so the Dreadnought came in on turn 2.

Chaos Daemons, turn 1.

Place the Portalglyph (no summons this turn), then Swoop forward!

I got off Scryer's Gaze, and the Nurgle Prince buffed himself.
On the warp storm table, I rolled 11 (this seems to happen every time I fight the Blood Angels), and Mephiston insta-died, posessed by a Herald of Nurgle.

Blood Angels, turn 2.

The Dreadnought and the Raven came in, and destroyed the Nurglings.

The Tacticals ganged up on the Herald, scoring Blood and Guts. I did manage to kill the sergeant in a challenge, though.
The Rhino and the Death Company went after some objectives, spreading around the table.

Chaos Daemons, turn 2.

All reserves came in, thanks to Scryer's Gaze.
I tried to get some objectives, but failed to roll a high enough Run move.
Vector striking the zooming Raven with an Iron Arm'd Nurgle Prince and Kairos got me a single glance:
With no Psychic Powers that can harm a zooming aircraft, I concentrated on the other part of the board, annihilating a combat squad of Tacticals.

Blood Angels, turn 3.

The Dreadnought went after the Seekers, but got locked in combat. The Raven dropped to Hovering mode, and disembarked the Death Company. They went after the Horrors, planning to clean them out and score that objective.
I just removed my Horrors.

Chaos Daemons, turn 3.

To compensate for the previous, weaker turn, I managed to blow up the Raven with a well-placed Bolt of Change from Kairos:
... and the Predator with a Bolt of Change from the Tzeentch Prince. I even got 4 Death Company in the process, though I did suffer a wound from Perils of the Warp.

Turn 4 and 5.

This part was rushed. We played turn 4, then went on a break for the evaluation of the entries for the painting competition, then came back to play turn 5. I took this single picture; narrative below.

At this time, all of my lesser Daemons were dead, with my flying baddies gliding around and destroying everything. The exact opposite was true for the Blood Angels, who have lost Mephiston, the Raven and the Predator, having only the Rhino, one and a half squad of Tacticals, and the remnants of two Death Company Squads still running around. However, at the end of turn 5 (where we decided to end the game due to the shop closing), the Blood Angels were victorious with 11-10 victory points.

Conclusion

I lost by employing the same tactics that worked against the Imperial Fists. They were a static gunline army, which I've successfully pinned down with my three-pronged swooping assault, leaving my weak, but mobile units running around capturing objectives. This time, I tried the same thing, but my opponent simply outmaneuvered me using the mobility conferred by the combination of transports and jump packs.
This won't deter me from using the same list in the future. The flying Daemons have once again proved to be unkillable. With some tinkering, the list could improve to include some more mobile, but more resilient units. And I shall adapt my tactics, no longer ignoring mobile enemy units running around in favor of going directly for the kill on stronger units.

No comments:

Post a Comment