Monday, October 5, 2015

Magnetized weapon arms, plus green stuff (part 2)

Magnetized Chaos Terminators - part 1, bodies

You've met them before in this article about removing paint, although I didn't show much of them back then. I have big plans for these guys as far as magnetizing goes, so let's dig in.

First of all, here's a picture of the miniatures without their arms:

Unfortunately, I did break a couple of the arms and weapons, either during stripping off the paint or when I broke off the arms. I had to "saw" off some of them, while other came off easily. This will be addressed later.

Further damage happened when I drilled in the holes. This was also before my larger variety of magnets arrived, so I first tried to fit in a 5mm magnet. Take a look at the guy on the left. I drilled in a hole, then made it larger with my hobby knife. It's now as large as the arm socket, but still not enough to fit the large magnet in. Other holes caved in - such as the second one from the right.



Unlike the metal Plague Marines, the Terminators are hollow inside. So I pushed a bit of green stuff even in regular holes, so that I will have something to stick the magnets to. Larger and broken holes just needed larger pieces of putty.

Due to the malleable nature of the stuff, I filled broken holes to the brim:

Then I just pushed the magnet in, and smoothed out the surface using the knife blade (wet, of course).

This is the end result:

... and on the other side:


I then immediately put the green stuff back into the freezer.
Another thing to note: due to the stuff being more malleable (as I said previously, due to the larger amount of yellow part), I could not start testing the magnets right away. They just came out when subjected to the pull of an other magnet. I left these guys out for the night (and a couple more days, due to lack of time to work on them), and the green stuff hardened nicely. It's now as hard as plastic.
 

Magnetized Chaos Terminators - part 2, arms

I took a break from magnetizing while the stuff dried out and solidified. I couldn't even test my magnets while the green stuff wasn't solid. Even a knife blade could easily pull the magnet out of the putty.
When I got back to work, it was the usual drill.

 Drill some holes into the original arms...

 ... then place in some magnets.

The same goes for these loyalist Assault Terminator arms.

That Thunder Hammer will count as a power maul or force staff.

The original parts were pretty ugly at the shoulder joint. I think the miniatures were assembled using plastic glue (not super glue), as the pieces were practically melted together and I couldn't break them apart efficiently. So some shoulders and arms needed extra green stuffing to make sure they don't look wonky.

Finished

Here's the finished squad:


This is their original loadout.
The arms without shoulder pads are from the Assault Terminator kit:


No comments:

Post a Comment