Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Painting a female elf archer in green color scheme

Introduction


As discussed in the parent post, I'm painting two female elf archers from the Magic the Gathering: Arena of the Planeswalkers boardgame for my DnD group. For this one, I decided on a red-green scheme, as they contrast well, green is iconic clothing for elves, and hint hint Tauriel.

Painting


Basecoat


Two coats of dark green give the basetone of the clothing.


Brown basecoat for all the leather, wood and skin areas.



Details: leather, wood, skin


Augment the leather areas with leather brown. Bonewhite for the arrow feathers.



Skintone on the flesh areas.


Now, for the washes:

Black wash on leather and wood.


Fleshtone wash (Reikland fleshshade) on the skin areas. Two coats of sepia wash (Seraphim sepia) on the green areas. This was more of an experiment: I have previously only used black wash, and wanted to see if I can create lighter shadows with a different color. I am pleased with the result.





Details: face and hair


Of course, I forgot to take in progress pictures. For the hair, I laid on a basecoat of dark red, then washed black, then highlighted dark red, then washed dark red (Carroburg Crimson). This results in a shiny, but dark red tone, a good contrast with the lighter green.
The eyes started white, then black wash, then white again. I did not bother with pupils as the miniature is smaller than 28mm.



Basing


My usual woodland basing technique: soil, grass, bushes and PVA sealant.




Finished!




No comments:

Post a Comment