Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Painting a tiefling warlock

Introduction


I didn't have a clear vision in mind for this miniature, so I asked the player. He responded by pointing at the warlock Betrayer armor set from World of Warcraft (also red skin for the tiefling). Challenge accepted!


Painting


Prime 


In black, as this is a dark color scheme. Yeah, I had some extra brown on my palette which I slapped on before taking the picture.


Basecoat


Dark red clothes. Not really visible here. I mixed about 1:1 gore red and black. Same for the face.
Black on the shoulder piece, boots, gloves.



Start on the details


Gore red on the face, about 90%, leaving the original dark color in the recesses - around the eyes, mouth, ears, nose.


Highlight the black areas (shoulders, boots, gloves) - see the relevant painting tip.



Runes


The fluorescent green color goes better on a light background, so apply white primer to the runes and  the streaks on the pants (and while we're here, do the eyeballs).



Paint the light green over the white.



I wasn't quite happy with the lack of color transition, so I painted a bit of darker green here and there.



For some reason, I forgot that I wanted the same colors on the staff. We'll get back later.

More detailing


I usually do a metallic basecoat for gold. Since this is cloth trimming (not armor), I decided to go for an ochre base instead to reduce some of the shine.


Apply the gold over the ochre.



Proceed to the brown basecoat for the staff, face, hair, horns.


And the small pouch.


Black wash on the hair (intended to be dark brown) and the staff (to darken it for better contrast with the light green). Go over the gold areas, too.



Highlight the pouch with leather brown.


Line highlight the hair. Use a very fine detail brush.


Start on the horns. Bonewhite basecoat and sepia wash (Seraphim Sepia). Draw the wash towards the tip of the horns.


Staff runes


Same as before, white undercoat and then green.



Final details


Brown wash (Agrax Earthshade) on the leather pouch.


Cover half of the horns (towards the tip) with the same wash. Then apply just a bit of black wash on just the tips. I usually do it the other way around (darker towards the base), and I thought to try something different.


Face: blood red highlights on the raised areas (cheeks, nose, forehead)


... and the tip of the ears. On a whim, I went with the same bright red on the hair ring - I didn't want to break the color scheme with another bright color.


Base


I intended to place this guy in an arcane desert, so the first step is a crystal on the base. Too bad I only had blue, as it doesn't fit the overall color scheme - but at least it attracts the eye.


Another small detail that I intended for the base is a skull in the sand. I painted that separately. 
White basecoat.


Sepia wash.


Brown wash.


Bonewhite drybrush.


Time to put on the sand.


After it dried, I glued on the skull.


I decided to leave it half-buried, so more sand was needed.


And finally, apply lighter sand on top for "highlights".



Finished!






No comments:

Post a Comment