Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Painting brownish Plaguebearers

Introduction


I felt like painting more Nurgle models, and I wanted to try out a new color scheme, something less bright than my yellow and green Plaguebearers, or my colorful Nurglings. I still have 10 unpainted Plaguebearers, but no command models. Perfect to try out 2 different color schemes, and have the models function as unit fillers where ever needed.



Painting


Prime in white, although it doesn't really matter, I believe.

Paint the skin


Basecoat in brown:


Wash patches in violet:


Wash patches in blue/green. Overlap a bit with the violet for more color variation.


Drybrush with the original brown color:


Lighter drybrush with skintone:


The skin is finished, and I think it gives off a suitably rotten effect. Much darker than the previous squads.

Guts & pustules


A departure from my previous color scheme, I tried out basecoating the guts in grey instead of skintone, for a more rotten/dead effect.


Pustules and pimples, as always, yellow.


I didn't have to mix red wash anymore, as I have Carroburg Crimson on hand.


Edge highlight grey.


Dot highlight yellow.


I wasn't happy with how the grey highlight turned out. I think I should have left it just with a wash on it. I tried to fix it with a purple/pink highlight. Didn't turn out that great, either.


Teeth


The more they resemble human anatomy and color schemes, the more disturbing. Hence I picked out the teeth in bonewhite. One model also has teeth in his stomach, and one has a skullhead in his gut.


Wash in sepia.


Wash with brown.


Dot highlight the teeth with bonewhite again.


Eyes


I decided on glowing eyes. Basecoat in bright green.


Wash with dark green, then dot highlight the center of each eyeball.


Guts


Fixed the guts by painting on Nurgle's Rot. This should cover my sloppy highlights, and increase the sliminess.


Swords


Rusted blades! Basecoat in gunmetal.


Cover them in pigment. Typhus Corrosion is great, as it is already in a fluid state (doesn't require mix with medium) and creates a fine texture.


Drybrush with orange. The brown still shows true in places, giving a perfect rusted, corroded look.


Minimal edge highlight with silver, giving the impression of the rust being scraped off where the swords are put to use.


Basing

Instead of small "hills", I went for an overall rough texture. Wet a used brush and push the putty around until it spreads on the base. When it dries, fix it with superglue.


Basecoat with brown. Watered down paint is better for the putty, but worse for plastic/metal, creating a patchy look to the earth.


Drybrush with ochre yellow for a dried out, desert wasteland look.


Add toxic puddles by painting the 'craters' dark green.


Then apply Nurgle's Rot in the puddles.


Finally, add desiccated bushes to the large flat areas using PVA glue.


Finished!








No comments:

Post a Comment