Thursday, March 8, 2018

Weapon rack for magnetized arms

I decided to create this weapon rack for all the spare arm options my Terminators will have in the future (and also for better storage for the arms while I painted them for the competition).



First I gathered the leftover balsa wood from the movement trays and decided on two appropriately sized pieces. One would be the base, the other the wall. I glued 9 metallic washers on each side of the wall-to-be. Unfortunately, I ran out of same-sized washers, and had to add 2 thinner ones.


Then I used more leftover wood to create something to hold the wall in place. I initially wanted just a wooden block, but the pieces I had were of different widths, and I did not want to spend time cutting them to size. So I made these "steps":


First, I measured out and marked where the wall would go, dead center. Then I glued on the "steps" using PVA glue and place a weight on it. A small coffee table did the trick. After it dried, I glued in the wall and steps on the other side. Without any way to weigh it down, I just pressed the whole thing together with my hands while watching a video for a couple of minutes. Brute force did the trick.

I ran out of long pieces, so I cobbled this together from smaller ones. It doesn't look as good as the other side, so this will be the "back".


Side view.


I finished the whole thing off by sealing the wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment