Thursday, March 21, 2019

Painting industrial bases (proof of concept)

Introduction


I intend to have these cool looking industrial bases for a future painting project. I had two paint schemes in mind, and I tried them out before committing to either.

Silver


The first one is pretty simple: traditional silver combined with black and yellow hazard lines.

To speed up the process, I employed drybrushing on the silver parts. This also leaves a grainy texture, fit for (possibly corroded) metal plates. So: Gunmetal base, Black Wash, Gunmetal drybrush, Chainmail Silver drybrush.

I thought of going the extra mile for the black, but then I realized that these large surfaces are going to be broken up by yellow stripes. So after the Black basecoat, I mixed in Stonewall Grey and did some highlights.


For the yellow stripes: basecoat Heavy Goldbrown, then highlight with Sun Yellow.


Simple rust


For the second base, I intended a more corroded look. I employed a new (and very easy) way to do a rust effect. Basecoat Tinny Tin.


Drybrush Gunmetal, then Chainmail Silver.


Done.

I got more sophisticated with the yellow. Heavy Goldbrown basecoat.


Wash about half with Cassandora Yellow, for color variation. Highlight Sun Yellow.


I also got smarter, and did the black lines on yellow instead of the other way around. Same highlighting process as above.


Toxic sludge & rust


Basecoat Sick Green.


Highlight Escorpena Green. Lowlight Dark Green.


Wash experiment: left Biel-Tan Green; right Athonian Camoshade.


Finishing: Nurgle's Rot.

I also experimented with adding rust to the silvery base using Fuegan Orange.


No comments:

Post a Comment