Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Finishing off the 3d printed giants

Introduction


I don't remember why I did not paint the Frost Giant along with its fellows. It is a proof-of-concept from the previous 3d printer and smaller in scale than the others. Still, I did not want to let it go to waste. There is also the matter of basing the previously finished giants, which I skipped because I wanted to have them painted and ready as soon as possible. 

Painting the Frost Giant


I employed the same time and effort saving techniques as for the other giants.

Silver metallic: Gunmetal, Black Wash, Gunmetal, Blood for the Blood God!
Blue skin: Heavy Blue, Black Wash, Heavy Blue, Magic Blue
Leather: Heavy Brown, Agrax Earthshade, Heavy Brown, Beasty Brown
Light leather: Beasty Brown, Agrax Earthshade, Beasty Brown, Leather Brown
Dark leather: Charred Brown, Black Wash, Charred Brown + Heavy Brown
White beard: White primer, Black Wash, White primer
White fur: White primer, Agrax Earthshade, White primer
Horns: Bonewhite, Agrax Earthshade, Bonewhite
Bronze metallic: Bright Bronze, Agrax Earthshade, Bright Bronze, Polished Gold



Basing


Start with rugged wasteland base for everybody. Due to the size of the bases, I instead used copious amounts of home made putty to form a landscape, and inserted cork "rocks" in clusters here and there.


I also changed up the highlighting steps to drybrushing, to save time and effort.

Fire giant: rugged mountainside


The Fire Giant is already finished after this step.






Frost Giant: snowy tundra


The Frost Giant gets extra snow.







Cloud Giant: cloud swept mountaintop


I saw something like this at a previous painting competition. I was not completely sold on the idea, but I had to give it a try. I'm not completely pleased. Instead of patches of cloud, it just looks like... well, cotton swabs glued on the base.






Storm Giant: pond


I applied water effects as before, only this time I was smart enough to create a depression in the middle of the base rather than at the edge.Well, not smart enough. The water effect solidified and cracked overnight. No idea why. I might have applied it to thickly, or mixed in too  much Coelia Greenshade and maybe that somehow interfered with the curing process? I added more water after to cover it up, which then cured white instead of transparent. 


It still looks reasonably OK and this is a low effort project anyway, so I left it at that.






No comments:

Post a Comment