Monday, April 25, 2022

Dungeon of the Mad Mage: Party vs door

Disclaimer: this session was very boring and not at all engaging for me. We played on-line, but I could not access roll20. I saw the action through a skype screen share, and had to relay my dice rolls to my party members. Sigh.


First, as always, I sent a zombie to open the door. Immediately, a magical hand appeared and crushed the zombie to death. We shot at it with limited success, although a Dispel magic with a high roll did clear it out.

Clearly, it wasn't a regular door. We inspected it and found dwarven runes along with some control mechanism. I sat down for a Comprehend languages ritual. This needs touch to read, and as soon as I touched the door, the hand reappeared. The runes read (loosely translated): "It is the wish of the keeper of secrets under the mountain[1] that only the hand of a dwarven king would open this door. May all others who try to know the power of the dwarves."

Well that's a big load of BS. I decided on a ritual of Identify. That needs touch. I expected the party to handle one magic hand. I did not expect each turn for a new hand to appear. Sigh.

After a couple of rounds of useless fighting, I decided to abandon the ritual and pull back. We needed a better plan. Like taking a long rest so I could actually prepare Identify and cast it in 1 minute instead of 11 minutes.

... as if the DM would let us rest. Cue umber hulk invasion. I summoned my barlgura to fight it, which obviously backfired.

Sigh.

Perhaps we should have cooperated with the dwarves, and killed them AFTER we got the treasure?

[1], So Dumathoin. The guy to whom this entire level seems to be dedicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment