Thursday, October 27, 2022

Adding a LED light to a Venomcrawler (by making a huge base)

Unlike the Astra Militarum tanks, this model does not have a large and accessible interior to hide the inner workings. Time to get creative! I learnt a lot here, the process was unwieldy, I'll do something else for my following project.

Add the LED 

Solder the LED to wires.

I drilled out the side doodad which looks like a mouth, then stuck in the LED. I used Vallejo Heavy Gel instead of superglue to avoid fogging.

Cut a small opening in the abdomen right below the exhaust pipes, which should be practically invisible later on. Assemble the model.

(Badly. I had this already on sprue, and I mixed up the legs.)

The base

I thought long and hard about where to hide the rest of the circuit. I decided to thicken the base to provide some storage space. 

Start by cutting a roughly base-sized disk of plasticard. Rough up the edges (old scissors work well) - this will be a urban ruin after all.

I marked where the feet will go, and I drilled out a hole for the wires.

I glued on the model to the plasticard disk, using superglue.

And now for that extra storage space... cut up the base, fit in the switch and cut out a hole where the battery holder can be inserted and extracted. Then build up the sides using cork.

Seal the interior using home-made putty. After it dries, reinforce with UHU glue.

Solder the wires as usual, then glue everything onto the base. I did not take any pictures of the soldering as it was very finicky. There's obviously a battery holder in there. Advice: leave more wire length than you think you'll need.

Also: the plasticard warped, so I had to wrap the whole thing with rubber bands for a snug fit.

Cut the plasticard to size by snipping off most of the overhang where possible. 

Also don't forget to test the lights!

Fill out the base with putty.

No comments:

Post a Comment