Thursday, December 29, 2022

Painting a giant spider

One of 4 giant monsters for this fall MAGUS commission. From Reaper's latest Kickstarter.

Preparation

As this is a Reaper Bones miniature, I primed it in Munitorum Varnish, then Chaos Black. I also bought a 160mm round base from Citadel for it.

Painting

I started some grey scale drybrushing, but then I decided to do the base first, so as not to muck up the paintjob later.

Base

Create some depressions using putty for some future puddles. Glue on some mushrooms. This is an underground environment.

Fill out the interior of the puddles with Stirland Mud, and the outside areas with Stirland Battlemire. Paint the ground. Then the bones on the ground. And finally do the mushrooms, as here.

Back to painting

Coat the spider in Basilicanum Grey, thus completing the slapchop procedure on the legs.

Prepare the carapace for the Chamelon Paints by coating it with gloss varnish.

Build up many, many coats of Celestial Azure. This is mainly blue with purple at the edges. Last time I used these paints I was disappointed, but it hit me that they are so reflective like metalics. Perhaps water is bad for dilution? I used Vallejo Glaze Medium this time, and it worked out nicely. The camera doesn't really show it, but it's clearly visible in bright light.

The eyes are Blood for the Blood God! over Silver. The fangs are Waywatcher Green over the slapchop.

Fill up the puddles with Vallejo Still Water.

Finish the fangs with slime using UHU glue.

Finished!






No comments:

Post a Comment