Thursday, April 4, 2024

Painting a Rogal Dorn tank

I've put it off for some time, but with all the LEDs and magnets done, and 3rd party bits in place, it was time to paint the Rogal Dorn.

Painting 

Paint the main body of the tank, most of the guns, weathering and mud as here: Painting an Astra Militarum Chimera.

Gatling gun

I initially just wanted muzzle burn here, but I thought to try something new.

Drybrush/overbrush the gun white.

Bad Moon Yellow. Such a fantastic color, no orange shadows as for Iyanden Yellow.

Blood Angels Red. Go a bit back and forth and blend the two colors.

I involuntarily thinned down the Black Templar, which resulted in some pretty good blends in itself.

Finish off the flow effect by selectively applying Bloody Red. The hottest glowing barrel would be up top where it fires, and then it would progressively cool down going around. But given that the gun can be rotated on its magnet, the effect might be lost. Oh well.

Nun gunner

In the regular tank nun uniform with Muzzle flare.

Freehand work - scrolls and portrait

I forgot to make a banner for this tank, so I decided to turn that into a happy accident.

My chosen historical lady is Milunka Savic a.k.a. The Lady of the Dark if you are a fan of Sabaton.

Start by freehanding some scrolls. There are precious few flat surfaces on this tank, but I managed to find two.

Khaki basecoat. Correct the edges using Black.

Draw the contours using Cygor Brown.


Stipple in some highlights using Bonewhite, then Off White.


Use Black Templar for the writing.


Still, I was missing a portrait. I looked for one, but of course there are no colored portraits, and I really did not feel the confidence to draw a colorized portrait myself. Instead I went for a line art inspired by a black and white photo. Start with a white basecoat.

Draw the lines using Black Templar. I should have practiced on paper, but I didn't. It took several tries to get the nose and mouth right, just correct with Dead White.

So far so good, but the paint is heavily damaged all over the tank, except on the freehands. Suspicious. So I did the weathering again, just around the freehands, using small implements and a careful hand.

The goal is to chip just a bit into the illustrations to give a sense of realism. Don't cover your hard work up! I almost did on the front, but a quick finger wipe saved the scrollwork.

Finished!







No comments:

Post a Comment