Thursday, August 1, 2024

Converting Fallen to function as Chosen and characters

I decided that I need some Chosen, but I'm honestly sick of painting dark red power armor. So here's a fun idea: I have loads of space marine bodies. By slapping on some green stuff robes, I can paint them up as Fallen. This was super fun, and I ended up hammering out a squad of 10, as well as attachable characters.

Note

I do have two actual Dark Angel marines: one metal standard bearer and one plastic marine. I kept them on the workspace as inspiration.

Step 1: cleanup

Take a regular old space marine. Without arms, preferably.

Cut off the aquila on the chest, as I don't want it showing through the robe. Also cut off any excess details, like antennae on the head, accessories on the legs etc.



Robes

I kneaded some long, flat pieces of green stuff, then flattened them out with a rolling pin. Grid size = 1cm. This shape looks best.

I just wrapped the ribbon around the legs using my fingers (fingerprints visible, especially after fiddling around with the ends). 

Then I used a shaping tool to tuck it in below the belt, and smooth out the fingerprints. Don't worry if it's too long, just wait for the material to cure, then use clippers or a knife to cut it short.

Blouse 

OK, fine I know, it's still a part of the robe. Whatever. The piece that covers the chest. About this size is good enough, use the shaping tool to pull it to the shoulders and hips. Note that the wider part goes on the shoulders.


Hoods

The first try came out pretty gnarly, but I soon perfect the shape. Put it on the head, with the narrow part on the back of the head. Then shape it by pulling down the front and tucking it into the collar all around. 




Weapons 

The Chaos Lord gets a chainsword and daemon hammer.

The hammer is from a 3rd party Salamander-looking kit. However, the lizard head will serve as a demon head. I pinned it to the arm as it is resin.

This old Chaos Knight halberd (I think) will serve for the Master of Executions.

I chopped up a Grey Knight staff.

Top it with a beast skull from the Citadel skulls kit. A bolter-holding left hand (reposed a bit) can hold a Kromlech chaos tome.

Combi-weapon for the Exalted Champion.


I found two Dark Angels symbols in my bits box, so I glued them on backpacks that were rough-looking after cleaning.

Two Fallen/Chosen with default loadout.

Chain the boltgun to the backpack.



Obligatory Chaos Beakie combined with obligatory "Brothers, look at this bolter" pose.


And another one, aiming down the barrel.

One with a more dynamic pose.

Finally, this plastic Dark Angel/Fallen, who is already holding his hand in a boltgun position, also gets a combi weapon.

Plasma pistol/power fist. Chain the boltgun.


This metal Dark Angel/Fallen standard bearer is already pretty cluttered, so I shaved the edge of the powerfist to glue on a plasma bit as a plasma pistol. I dug out a Chaos icon and green stuff it to the pole.


Pair of accursed weapons - one chained to the backpack, to accommodate the plasma pistol.



Finally, double sword guy. He's also hiding a plasma pistol somewhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment