Thursday, October 3, 2024

Free Folk vs Lannisters, 10.09.2024

Back to playing ASOIAF after the summer hiatus. Also after a rules update. I tried a new concept of a list: a wall of bodies protecting spear thrower giants in the back. So I took defensive attachments, see the lists here. The Lannisters were back with a super elite list and Roose Bolton in command.


My game plan was to hold a corner (just right for this Fire and Blood kill points mission) while the giants pepper the enemy cavalry from behind. The first two rounds passed with me doing 3 attacks per round, to no effect. Literally 0 6's.

My opponent then stood outside long range of the giants, and shot my Raiders with crossbows and inflicted morale damage, until both units died.

I had nothing left to loose, and charged in. And oh boy, do the Thenns shine with the Great Walrus. They were almost invincible.

And the giants did real work against cavalry when hitting on 3's.

I managed to kill both the Flayed Men and the Mountain by turn 5.

By turn 6 it was mathematically impossible for me to win, but I tried my damnedest.

The final board state at the end of round 6. I was that close to killing off Bolton's unit, and I had a chance to kill the crossbowmen too. Tabling the enemy would have offset my points deficit.

Conclusion

Raiders are not a wall, no matter what attachment they get. Thenns, on the other hand, are beautiful. I will further refine this list, to use this new combo I found. Giant Spear Throwers are also not as bad as I first thought. Even if you can't score 6's at extreme range, they do work at regular range. And they are no war machines; they can hold their own in combat. Perhaps if I formed a phalanx and advanced everything, it would have went a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment