Thursday, October 10, 2024

Converting and painting Raptors as Night Lords

Ave Dominus Nox! We have come for you! With the new Chaos Marine detachments, we are no longer playing specific legions, so I thought to create and paint some more Night Lords. Specifically, the flying infantry. I used up the Chaos Marines from the Shadowspear box (yes, I had them on sprue since) as well as a couple of bodies from the new Legionaries box. Add weapons from the bits box and various jump packs. One guy gets to be a jump pack chaos lord with magnetized arms.

High quality photos taken by GM Photography.

Weapon conversions

I used some chainsword/bolt pistol bodies unchanged.

I magnetized the Chaos Lord, using the power fist and plasma pistol from the Legionaries box, and a pair of Assault Terminator Lightning Claws. I used bits box power fists and plasma pistols for the champions.

For the four plasma guns, I used one from the Shadowspear sprue as-is, and converted the rest.

This guy holding his bolter to the side was the easiest.

Thankfully, the arms spacing is the same as with the older kits. I did have to chop off the butt of the plasma gun, as well as the hands of the marine, but plastic glue solves the rest.

More conversions

With the arms mounted and glued on (adding some Kromlech shoulder pads where missing), I dry fit my jump packs but they were too tight of a fit. I glued on a piece of sprue on each back.

Mount the boys on their 32mm bases, then add some heads. I used Puppetswar Nosferatu Helmets and vampire heads from the new Blood Knights box (I think). The heads are a bit on the smaller side. Drop some green stuff into the socket, then push them in as needed.

Painting

Paint the Night Lords armorthe legion icon of the Night Lords and the chapter icon of the Serrated Sun.

Then do as many spots as possible in contrasting colors like Orange plasma coils (and the same paints on the jump pack exhausts).


I painted some jump packs separately, along with the magnetized arms.

For the lightning claws, I basecoated Heavy Goldbrown, then highlighted the base Moon Yellow. I was thinking a yellow to orange gradient, so I painted the ends Gryph Hound Orange and feathered towards the base. Then edge highlights with a mix of Moon Yellow and Dead White.

I painted the grooves on the power fist white, then added colors along with the plasma pistol.

Finished!







No comments:

Post a Comment