Thursday, February 25, 2016

Daemons vs Khorne Daemonkin, 23.02.2016

Mission: Deadlock, Vanguard Deployment

Points limit:  1500 points

Lists:

Chaos Daemons: CAD

  • Kairos Fateweaver
  • 4x Herald of Tzeentch, lvl 3 Psyker, on Disc of Tzeentch, some rewards
  • 6-man squad Screamers of Tzeentch
  • 3-base Nurgling squad
  • 4x 12-man Pink Horror squads
I threw in 2 exalted rewards (for the Grimoire and Portalglyph) and an Exalted Locus of Conjuration (+1 spell strength) to form the "Screamstar".

Khorne Daemonkin: Blood Host Detachment

  • Slaughtercult
    • Chaos Lord, with Korlath, Axe of Ruin
    • 5-man Possessed squad
    • 2x 8-man Bloodletter squad, with Bloodreapers
  • Command
    • Bloodthirster with D-axe
  • War Engines
    • Soul Grinder, Phlegm
    • 2x Defiler with Flamer, Battlecannon and Power Fists
    • Forgefiend with 3 Plasma cannons

Deployment

I deployed second. With so many Strenth 8 battlecannons, I could not risk getting the Screamers and Heralds insta-killed, so I kept them in reserve.
Everything is Pink Horrors here, with Kairos in the back.


I infiltrated the Nurglings, out of sight of the battlecannons and just at 9 inches from the center objective. Deadlock favors whoever can do more objectives in the beginning, so I prepared as best as I could.

Khorne Daemonkin, turn 1.

... of course, I discounted the Bloodthirster, which jumped on my Nurglings and killed 2 bases. I lost the 3rd one to Daemonic Instability. 
Some Pink Horrors died to battlecannon fire, but that was why they were there.
Lastly, my opponent had an excellent draw, and racked up 6 points.

Chaos Daemons, turn 1.

I had a reasonable draw. I summoned a squad on the center objective, racking up 5 points due to Supremacy. A Vector Strike on the Bloodthirster netted 1 wound, but the Psychic fireworks failed to do any damage.

Khorne Daemonkin, turn 2.

The War Engines advanced on my center squad, and proceeded to annihilate it.



The Bloodthirster assaulted another Horror squad. The one time I counted on failing Instability was, of course, the time that I passed it, so it got locked in combat.


Daemons, turn 2.

Let's get those reserves in! Roll 1. I used Kairos' reroll to get my deathstar in.
At least I got the Grimoire off, although the Portalglyph failed to bring in anything. Nevertheless, I had 28 charges in my Psychic phase. Let's make it rain!
... so totally, I managed to inflict 1 wound on my opponent (killing 1 Possessed) and 1 on myself (perils, roll 6, fail a Leadership of 10).


And even worse, I scored only 1 point.
To at least hinder my opponent, I waltzed my deathstar right in between his War Engines.

Khorne Daemonkin, turn 3.

The Chaos Lord turned into a Daemon Prince and a Bloodthirster.
All the War Engines fired their weapons into Screamstar, then charged, inflicting no wounds. The Possessed also charged in, but they all died - denying my No Prisoners.


The Bloodthirster annihilated another squad of Horrors. Bloodletters arrived by Deep Strike, achieving almost total board control.

Even the consolidation move was high enough to capture another objective.


The melee went on, with no casualties on either side.



Daemons, turn 3.

I thought that maybe, if I killed the War Engines, I'll have some control on the other side, and might be able to achieve something (despite the Daemon Prince and Bloodthirster). However, my rolls were horrible, and although I did chip off some Hull Points, I couldn't finish off anything. I scored no points.


At the beginning of turn 4, at 10-5, with no way of scoring further objectives and my opponent having complete board control, I surrendered.

Anything to add?

  • Really, the only way to deal with that Bloodthirster is a Nurgle Prince with the Balesword (Instant Death). I have no way to shoot it down.
  • Speaking of shooting, the Psychic phase once again proved to be fickle to the point of uselessness. I made sure to have all the powers that mattered - Prescience, Bolt of Change, Infernal Gateway - and even rolled well on the Strength D6+4 part. However, at the end of the day, it was all for nought.

No comments:

Post a Comment