Monday, January 29, 2018

Brimstone Horrors finished - Blue Horrors next

All four squads of Brimstones are now finished. Looking back, it was a fun sequence of painting colored flames. I think the first two are better looking, being brighter and having more contrast. It may also be due to me following along some painting tutorials (although not word by word, since I had to adapt to the paints that I had). The blue and green flames both follow the same idea: diluting paints into glazes to achieve a monochrome gradient. My blue and green paints are predominantly darker colors, so the minis darken up quickly, as opposed to the first two groups where the bright oranges go almost to the top of the flames, and even the darker reds are bright enough. I may have played around with mixing white or light colors into the darker blues and greens to keep the minis lighter and brighter, but that is, of course, hindsight. I'll get it better next time (although I won't purchase more Brimstones just for that). But I had fun experimenting; even in those moments when I realized I lacked enough contrast or color variety and I was frantically searching around my paints for something to add (Nihilakh Oxide and Guilliman Blue to the rescue). Looks like both following examples and experimenting yourself can play a part in becoming a better painter. :-)

Continuing to paint the contents of the two opened boxes, I'll follow up with 20 Blue Horrors. They'll be split into 4 groups, just like the Brimstones, each with differing skintones. However, they do have a lot of details on them, which I will paint the same across all groups and show only once. Incidentally, I managed to pick the first group to have every type of detail, so expect one long post, then 3 shorter ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment