Thursday, August 13, 2020

Painting shiny Skullcrushers

Introduction


For the eBay Skullcrushers, I settled on a quick experiment: a WarhammerTV color scheme for the "Iron Horde". I'm not that into Age of Sigmar lore, but the color scheme looked fun, so here goes.

Spray paint


Prime black, then spray Leadbelcher.


Bloody silver armor


Wash the armor in Nuln Oil.


Wash the armor trim again.


Paint the recesses with Blood for the Blood God!


Cover the entire helmet and the gauntlets.


Drybrush Silver.


Layer the armor panels with Silver.


The shiniest Khorne boys ever. 


Paint the Juggernaut



Since the only paints used until now that could flow over were silvers, no clean-up was needed. Just apply the Flesh Tearers Red over the Juggernaut armor. This time, I learned that I can apply Contrast paints with a smaller brush, and get cleaner results - I only had to clean up a couple of spots with silver.



And now for the brass. I originally wanted this, but a friend suggested a different take. Here goes...

Highlight the Leadbelcher with Silver. This got pretty confusing fast, as I highlighted almost every surface with Silver.


2.5 coats of Seraphim Sepia - the last application was mixed 1:1 with gloss varnish. And I have to say, this is the best brass I ever painted - the other thing is way too warm, more like a bronze color. 


On larger surfaces, such as the icon and the shoulder plates, the pre-shade I did with Silver shines through. However, the smaller nuts and bolts do not show the highlight. I did another shade just in the recesses, with 1:1 Seraphim Sepia and Fuegan Orange.


Contrast to the rescue


There were some small details which I did not want to break out 5 colors each to paint, so I tried my hand at Contrast.

First, of course, came the skulls. I basecoated the other details with Bonewhite at the same time. It was tiresome, as it does not cover well.

Anywho, apply Ork Flesh on the tassles and 2 coats of Black Templar on the cloth. I also did Akhelian Green (which is in fact blue) in the recessed runes.


Snakebite Leather on the leather straps.


I then inspected my work, and was thoroughly unhappy with how it looked. I proceeded to highlight the black with Cold Grey and Stonewall Grey, and overbrush the green with Jade Green. I only left the leather alone, as that looks OK. Not as good as something done by hand, but OK.



Spray varnish


This was all the matte details, so I sprayed a coat of Munitorum Varnish. But before that, I did the Mordant Earth on the bases. I originally did not varnish the technical paint, but I already had a few flakes fall off the Bloodletters.

Shiny details


Re-apply Silver, then Soulstone Blue on the Juggernaut eyes.


Blood for the Blood God! on the icon.


Varnish by hand


Gloss varnish on the armor panels (to give back the maximum shine) and matte varnish on the bases, to make sure the flakes stay on.

Finished!





No comments:

Post a Comment