Thursday, August 6, 2020

Rebasing resin based Bloodletters to 32mm

Introduction


I really hate changing base sizes. Now, I only have 10 Bloodletters like this, but to imagine having a horde of these needing new bases gives me the shudders. I originally created all of my infantry for Warhammer Fantasy - so 25mm. But now GW is moving them all to 32mm. Luckily, 40k doesn't really care, so I refused to do any rebasing work. But I'm more into Age of Sigmar now, so here goes nothing...

Enlarging the base for playability


No way I'm cutting them down from those beautiful sculpted bases. And no way I'm just gluing them to a bigger base, either. I need them standing at attention on my movement trays

Enter magnets.

I still have plenty of magnetized round bases, which I never got to use. Add one of these, one 32mm base, and one Bloodletter standing on a metallic washer.


Glue the magnetized base on top of the 32mm base, and... done.

I recommend trying it out - it's how I got to the conclusion that I need to place the small base at the edge of the large one, instead of the middle. That way, the swords get in the way a bit less.


On second thought...


They look funny on triple bases. Not to mention all my other Bloodletters being on 32mm bases... and I'm thinking about doing new, large movement trays. They didn't fit on the old ones anyway.

Round 2... Sigh


Glue them to 32mm bases.


Decorate the black areas with Stirland Mud. Place some skulls inside. 
I originally envisioned this with putty, but the area is very small, and the Citadel technical was easier to apply.


But as it dried, it reduced a lot. It's fantastic mud texture, but very reduced.


So back to home made putty! At this stage it's already painted black.


Painting



Finished!





No comments:

Post a Comment