Thursday, August 20, 2020

Painting a Mystic

Introduction


Samael, the hexblade warlock had been switched to Okos Ember, the mystic for some time now. We got this miniature from Reaper Miniatures and drew up basic guidelines on how I should paint it. (Notice rough similarities with the painted example.)


Preparation


I cut him off his cast base and pinned his legs. Then prime using Wraithbone.


Painting


Gloves and feet wrap using Skeleton Horde. Leather using thinned down Cygor Brown.


I painted the skirt and neckguard Dead White and the pants Ghost Grey, then applied Apothecary White. Barely visible difference.


Time to move on to regular paints for the light skintone.


Do the feathers in blue and green Contrast: Ork Flesh, Akhelian Green, Aethermatic Blue.


Eyes

At this point I went back and highlighted the areas done with Contrast.

Bonewhite on the wraps and the middle of the feathers.
Beasty Brown on the boots. Leather Brown on the leather wraps.
Dead White on the cloth.


Dilute Drakenhof Nightshade using Lahmian Medium for the hair. Then drybrush Dead White.


Brass shoulderguards and silver buckles.

At this point I glued the miniature to a cobblestone base and sprayed Munitorum Varnish. Now for the fun part!

Magic


I laid out my numerous purple washes and glazes, and got to work on the glowing bits: the implants on his face and chest, the circles on the gloves and shoulderguard, and the fingers. Also some runes which I drew on the base.

Start with a Dead White base. Then wash Druchii Violet.


I initially planned several layers of different colors, but I started really digging how it looked after just one pass. So I did 3 successive highlights with MSP Spectral White darkened down with Druchii Violet.


Final highlight, and drybrush on the fingers.


Purple crystals


I have these blue crystals lying around which take gloss varnish really well. So I thought I'd glaze them red and take advantage of transparency.


Well, guess not. Bloodletter (left) is barely visible, Blood Angels Red (right) turned it almost black.


So I did it the old fashioned way. Royal Purple Base, mix with Heavy Violet for the midtones, mix Heavy Violet with Dead White for the highlights.


Glue on base.


Finished!







No comments:

Post a Comment