Thursday, September 10, 2020

Painting skeletons (Contrast)

Introduction


The second batch of commission minis, where I got to play around more with Contrast colors. I have to say, they are crazy fun.



Initial state


I got these guys primed white. Some had parts painted.


Contrast


Skeleton Horde over the bone parts. This looks OK even on a white primer, so no need for the special ones.


2 layers of Snakebite Leather on these shields: one overall, and one in and near the recesses for some variety.


Nuln Oil on the painted metallic parts.


On to these more complex models. I painted the leather and wood in a variety of colors. Snakebite Leather on white and on brown (where it was already basecoated), same with thinned down Cygor Brown.




Basilicanum Grey on the metal bits. I thought this would look like crap based on the tutorials, but it actually looks like acceptable crap.


It helps if you're careful and go the extra mile, such as the border of the shield and these small spikes (which I basecoated with a smaller brush and Wraithbone before going in with the Contrast).



Finally, one skeleton is wearing torn clothes. I wanted a putrid green cast to them, so I went in with Plaguebearer Flesh. It was too similar to the bone around it, so I went in with Militarum Green. Still too much of a brown shade. Not even a layer of Ork Flesh solved it completely, so there I learned something about using more differing shades to create separation.


Finished!






No comments:

Post a Comment