Thursday, September 3, 2020

Painting skeleton archers (Contrast)

Introduction


In my June/July review I mentioned a huge commission work for MAGUS. It contains a large number of basic undead miniatures, to be painted at the lowest possible level, with no basing. Enter... Citadel Contrast paints. First up, a trio of skeleton archers.

Painting


These are made of Reaper Bones.


I was afraid of spraying them, so I applied 3 coats of Bonewhite out of the pot with a large basecoating brush.


The first coat of paint, Skeleton Horde, was applied with a medium shade brush (which is quite large, actually) over all the minis. I then switched to my no. 2 to apply Cygor Brown on the wooden bows and Snakebite Leather on the quivers and straps. My experience painting the Bloodcrushers/Skullcrushers came in handy when controlling the paint. By keeping to a smaller brush, I had no problem sticking to the appropriate surfaces and avoiding other details (see the fabric on the wooden parts). This means less work cleaning up.



I then switched to an even smaller brush to put Cygor Brown on the wooden shafts and Basilicanum Grey on the feathers.


Spray Munitorum Varnish to be safe.

Evaluation


If I could have skipped the waiting time for the paints to dry, these three would have been done in an evening. There was also the hold-up with the priming, which I can reduce next time by spray priming with Wraithbone. Now, I had some help in the form of all the painting videos I watched on Warhammer TV, but if you pick the right colors for the job, Contrast works exactly as advertised.

Finished!






No comments:

Post a Comment