Thursday, October 8, 2020

Magnetizing a Repulsor Executioner

Introduction


I did this for a friend. Lay out the components and tools, and let's begin!
Note that I waited at least 24 hours between any steps that require green stuff.

Magnetizing the main gun


So here are the two guns.


I sawed them both off at a common point.


Clean up the edges.


A video tutorial I saw implied that some magnet is a perfect fit, but this 5mm disc which I have was not, by a longshot. I've never seen 6mm magnets, so whatever. Fill the hole with green stuff, put just a bit of superglue, then push in the magnet.


After it cures, do the same for the gun barrels.


Just make sure that the polarity is correct.



After it cures, the main guns are done!



Magnetizing the rocket pod


This is how the rocket pod joins the turret.


I savagely cut it out using my snippers and knife. I also prepared the default assault launcher, to be mounted when the rocket pod isn't used.


I chopped off the connector.


All good... except a 5mm magnet does not fit inside. Sigh. Chop them up even more.


Score the turret and drill a hole for the magnet.


Fill the bits with green stuff and stick in the magnet as before. Take care of the polarity... you'll see the reason later.


Realize that my drill is 3mm and the 5mm magnet won't fit. Sigh. Fill the hole with milliput.


A pass with a wet hobby knife trimmed off any excess and left a smooth surface.


Superglue a magnet to the inside. Fill out with milliput so it can't possibly move or fall off.


Finished!




As for that polarity thing... why have your small bits get lost, when you can have them stick together thanks to the power of magnets!?


No comments:

Post a Comment