Thursday, October 8, 2020

Painting more skeletons (Contrast)

Introduction


The commission work carries on, as I experiment more and more with Contrast paints.



Preamble


These skeletons also came primed white like the other batch. However, some were underprimed - the grey plastic was showing through. I briefly considered re-priming them, but then decided to experiment with something I heard called "the spirit of Contrast". It goes like this: if you are already painting miniatures with Contrast, you are probably doing a job by the dozen. Nobody is going to pick up that one guy and comment on the bit of splotch near the armpit or whatever. So take care but be forgiving with yourself, and above all, have fun! I tried to keep this in mind while painting the skeletons, and I was reminded of my own batch of mantic skeletons and how hard it was to properly locate all their different parts. They are quite complex miniatures, with bone, metal, cloth and leather intertwining all over.

Painting


Skeleton Horde, Snakebite Leather, thinned down Cygor Brown, Basilicanum Grey in all the usual places.


I decided to experiment with the different shades of Contrast paints I possess. Aside from the guy who apparently died wearing pink pajamas, I am quite happy with the result. From left to right: Militarum Green, Ork Flesh/Volupus Pink/Aethermatic Blue (feather), Terradon Turqoise, Akhelian Green (which is actually blue), Shyish Purple, Aethermatic Blue, Militarum Green again. Also Black Templar on the raven and Blood Angels Red on the blood/brain matter.


I find Militarum Green and Aethermatic Blue especially nice for old faded cloth. A healthy coat of Agrax Earthshade came in handy to bring down the other colors.


To stretch things out a bit, I tried out Gore Grunta Fur as a rust effect. Applied with a small brush directly out of the pot - it looks great!


Finished!







No comments:

Post a Comment