Thursday, January 19, 2023

Fixing, magnetizing and painting Contemptor Dreadnoughts

Two ancient Contemptor Dreadnoughts bought cheaply from eBay. Originally painted in Imperial Fist colors.

Preparation 

After stripping, I started with ripping off their arms as preparation for magnetization. I also had to rip apart this guy's sarcophagus and glue it back, due to a large hole in its back. Here's the guy tied down so the glue would solidify correctly.

Magnetization

I then decided that I should rather check how people went about this. I forgot to take pictures, but I basically sawed the arms apart at the elbow. I then enlarged the holes with the hobby knife such that a 5mm magnet would fit in, as I did not trust a 3mm magnet to hold the weapons. Finally, I glued the shoulders back.

I also realized a bit late that they can get missile launchers on their backs. I drilled 3mm magnets into the dreadnoughts. Then I raided my bits box for these missile launchers, no idea where they belong. I cut them up to fit, and drilled 3mm magnets into appropriate-looking places.

Base

I prepared a dead space marine for the first Dreadnought, as I really enjoyed the way Haarken Worldclaimer looks. I don't know where this half a torso comes from, but I cut in with snippers and knife to flatten the back.

I also cut in the legs, so as to make them look ripped off. 

I also glued on other bits and bobs.

For the second dreadnought, I cut apart an Indomitus banner.


Painting

Start with the armor: Speed painted Word Bearers armor. Easy gold effect with Iyanden Yellow/Nazdreg Yellow/Snakebite Leather over silver.

 

Carry on with some applied painting tips:

Don't forget the dead Imperial Fist.

And finally, just before the final drybrush, the Word Bearers script. I tried handwriting for the first time. Maybe a bit messy here and there, but overall happy with the result.


Also alchemical symbols.


After spray varnish, one more detail to finish: the gory remains of the dead marine. I filled out the hacked off joints with Stirland Battlemire, then painted them over with Blood for the Blood God!



Finished!






No comments:

Post a Comment