Thursday, October 18, 2018

Painting a Space Marine Captain in Imperial Fists colors

Introduction


Captain Zsombicus was ready for the end of the campaign.



Painting


Prime in white. 


Yellow armor


Basecoat Heavy Goldbrown.


Dilute Agrax Earthshade with Lahmian Medium and wash overall.


Mix Heavy Goldbrown and Sun Yellow, dilute heavily with medium, then glaze some highlights on. I tried to go zenithal as much as possible.


Finally, some edge highlights with Sun Yellow, then Fluorescent Yellow.


Purple cape


I always wanted to combine yellow and purple, but never had a suitable miniature before.

Basecoat Hexed Lichen. Paint Royal Purple in the recesses, then feather out.

I realized that these colors do not combine well, as the Hexed Lichen leans toward red, while Royal Purple leans towards blue.


I tried to bend the highlights towards the blue side, by mixing Electric Blue into Hexed Lichen and highlighting the folds.


Right up to Hexed Lichen mixed with White for the edge highlights. This leaves the most vibrant color in the middle, with both the recesses and the highlights a subdued bluish purple. Not cool at all.


To bring it all together, I applied Druchii Violet as an overall wash. I did not want much coloring, just a hint of purple, so I diluted it with Lahmian Medium. It blended well the colors, but it also took away the shine. Looks even worse now.


So I diluted Hexed Lichen heavily with matte medium and did an overall glaze. I was finally satisfied with the results: a shiny, bright purple with lighter purple highlights.


Armor trim


The 5th company (and Zsombor's entire army) has black armor trim, so I went with that (see the painting tip). I also painted a large checker on the right knee pad.

Power sword


For my tertiary color, I chose blue - a natural choice for both the sword and the plasma coils.

Undercoat Heavy Blue.



Basecoat Night Blue, then draw lightning patterns with Heavy Blue.


Highlight the pattern with Magic Blue.


Then Electric Blue. Then White.

Armor joints


Basecoat with 1:1 mix of Black and Stonewall Grey (as I don't have a suitable mid-range grey for this).


Wash in black.


Highlight Stonewall Grey.


Face




Purity seals


Basecoat Bonewhite on the scroll, Heavy Red on the wax.


Wash Agrax Earthshade, then highlight with the same colors. I originally wanted to do some black script on the seals, but the highlights already give the illusion of fine script, so I left it like that.



Superhighlight the wax in Gore Red.

Silver metallics




Plasma coils


Basecoat Heavy Blue.


Drybrush Magic Blue to highlight. Slop over the metallic to start that glow effect.


Lighter drybrush Electric Blue. Then edge highlight the coils.


Repeat with 1:1 mix of Electric Blue and White.


Then White.


Goggle lenses


Waystone Green.


Hair


Basecoat Heavy Brown. Wash Black. Drybrush Heavy Brown. Highlight Beasty Brown.


Gun details


Dark brown wooden grip. Regular silver clip.


Freehanded icons


Outline the icons withe black wash. On the left shoulder, the Imperial Fists chapter symbol.


On the right shoulder, a winged skull.


Fill in the circle with White.


Fill in the skull motif with Black.


Reinforce the circle with Black.


Draw the fist with Black.


Correct the imperfections and slops with White.


Correct the "chips" with Black.


Fill in the skull motif with Gunmetal. Leave a black outline.


Wash Coelia Greenshade.


I highlighted with Chainmail Silver. The original idea was to simply have the separation done with the bluegreen wash, but it wasn't strong enough to be visible. So I drew black lines, eyes and nose. Then I corrected any slops with Chainmail Silver.


Base


Actually, nothing. I want this guy to fit into the army. I'll leave his new owner to finish his base. I just mounted the miniature using a pin, and I wrote his name on the rim of the base.

Finished!







No comments:

Post a Comment