Thursday, October 4, 2018

The Doom of Ulpia - Afterthought

All in all, I am satisfied with my first ever narrative campaign. But now, for a breakdown.

First and foremost, the games were fun, both for me and my opponent. I received plenty of positive feedback to keep me encouraged ☺

The player did not wish to know any of the story and scenarios beforehand, preferring a video-game-like progression instead. As such, he only contributed to the design/idea of the finale - an apocalypse game is harder to organize  after all.

Balance wise, I've never played Chaos Marines before, and so I had to adjust to properly estimating the power levels of units. Obviously, I got better by the end of it. But the atmosphere is just as important as the balance, and I'm proud to say that we had fun through it all.

For scenario design, I mostly just worked with the narrative scenarios from the rulebook. I also relied on some older scenarios, and finally Chapter Approved for the apocalypse game. Now that we're through, I could confidently create custom scenarios as well.

The character rules were pretty well thought out, and the small bit of RPG-like progression was a welcome addition to the game. Of course, the rules went through minute changes as we tried them out. The published version is the final one.

Characters have far more punch in smaller games, where they can rule (i.e. Lexandro) or suck (i.e. Mason) according to the whim of the dice. We had our tragic moments (Mourdom's death) as well as funny ones (Lexandro disabling himself twice with his supercharged plasma gun). It's a shame that the characters became mostly irrelevant in the final game, relegated to buffing duties in the back lines.

Writing stories is a lot of fun, and I enjoyed the reaction of the player as he read through them - almost like watching a cutscene in a game.

That's all...

...for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment