Thursday, July 6, 2023

Painting LOTR dwarves

I bought some dwarves, including Gimli himself, already assembled and primed. This should fix my lack of dwarven miniatures. 

Original state

The 7 regular dwarves (hue hue) were primed black and the base was already filled out. Gimli was primed Zandri Dust with an empty base.

Grey cloaks

I looked up what footage there is of dwarves from the original trilogy as well as the Rings of Power series and decided on grey cloaks. I did two versions.

Version one: gradient Black-Heavy Charcoal-mix-Cold Grey.

I wanted to reduce Contrast and so bathed the cloak in Basilicanum Grey. This is actually pretty good - as a black cloth.

I brought it back a bit with a Cold Grey edge highlight.

Version two: red cloak but with Cold Grey instead of red and Stonewall Grey for the lighter shade. At least this is an actual grey color.

Faded orange coats

This could be leather as well, it looks great.

Basecoat 1:2 mix of Black and Cold Grey - something approximating Mechanicus Standard Grey. Highlight Bonewhite.

Cover in Gryph Hound Orange.

Elf Skintone super highlights.

Other details

Basecoat everything.


Use the following painting tips:



I base coated Gimli's beard Heavy Brown, then did Khaki highlights and painted over Gryph Hound Orange. Pretty good but not very contrasty.

So I re-did the highlights with Bonewhite, then paint over again with Gryph Hound Orange.

Paint the bedroll Bonewhite, then Skeleton Horde and Bonewhite highlights.

Basing

Rugged wasteland base. I added AP frozen tufts because anything else would be way too big next to the dwarves.

Finished!






No comments:

Post a Comment