Thursday, September 7, 2023

Painting a Plagueburst Crawler using Contrast paints and drybrushing

This is probably the only miniature that I ever bought due to it being on sale.  

Okay, probably not, but the only one I explicitly remember.

Painting

I decided to push Contrast paints to the limits of my understanding of them. Let's see what we're capable of!

Decide with an overall base of Speed painting silver.

Coat all the bronze parts Snakebite Leather. Much easier then a regular metallic basecoat.

Coat all the green parts Plaguebearer Flesh. This is too bright for what I want. Apply another coat of Militarum Green. Apply this haphazardly, stiple it on.

Skeleton Horde on the skulls and in the cracks. Iyanden Yellow around the boils.

I decided to try Ork Flesh stipled on in between the details. This is already too dark a green for what I wanted, but alas.

Then go to town on the bronze and silver parts as per Corroded bronze and Rusty metal.

At the same time, Gryph Hound Orange around the boils, make the rust drip.

Metallic drybrushes, as above.

Special effects: mud

Special effects: muculent blast

I initially wanted some LEDs in this bad boy, but the insides are very cramped, and I was also feeling lazy. So here's some other experiments instead. Start with a muculent smoke cloud on the mortar.

The purpose of the pin glued in is to hold this large piece of cotton wool. Its outsides hardened after painting, but it's still just a ball of cotton wool, so multiple pins would have been better.

Start the painting with 2:1 diluted Basilicanum Grey.

Continue with Plaguebearer Flesh. 

Sadly, at this point, it just looks like a painted ball of cotton wool.

I glued on more cotton wool. After drying, the exterior was already hard enough to hold superglue.

Paint 1:1 diluted Soulblight Grey. This is the real stuff. This looks like light smoke billowing over the darker smoke below. The center staid almost white - even better.

Special effects: muculent drip

Cut apart a blister pack and superglue over the "flamers".

Affix a piece of cotton foam using Heavy Gel.

Paint Nurgle's Rot. I wasn't quite happy with how monochromatic it got, so I dabbed on some Gutrippa Flesh and Militarum Green. Let them blend a bit.

Finished!






No comments:

Post a Comment