Thursday, August 15, 2019

Low effort cobblestone bases

I really like the way my previous cobblestone bases look. However, the effort that goes into every single one of those bases makes it unfeasible to apply to any wargaming miniature squads. One here and there for fantasy minis - sure. But 30 for a squad of Cultists? No way. So I invested in some tools to be able to manufacture cobblestone bases for a very low costs and very little effort.

Tools

I shopped a bit on this site. They have a large selection of rolling pins for endeavors like this. I bought this one. They have a good video tutorial on youtube on how to use them.

The process


Prepare the bases. I initially used only plain bases, as I was afraid that the material would sink into the slotted ones. It later turned out it doesn't. 



As the video tutorial suggests, mix milliput and plasteline 2:1. I only had black milliput left over from previous projects, but the regular variety should do just as well.


Unlike in the video, I prefer to mix the two epoxy components and the plasteline directly, as the black part is very messy to handle, and the plasteline alleviates that a bit.


Lay a bit of the resulting mix on the base. I initially laid it on somewhat thickly, but with practice I could make it work with a thinner layer.


Even the layer with a clear rolling pin. Use baking paper to prevent sticking to the rolling pin. Optionally, use a hobby knife to cut off the excess, as it will be easier to handle in the next step.


Apply the textured rolling pin.
Now the video makes it look very easy, but my milliput kept sticking to the pin instead of the base, even when wet. I guess oil or something similar would work better than water.
I got best results when I applied soft pressure evenly. Apply too much pressure and the milliput sticks all onto the pin. Apply unevenly and you'll get a side that is not textured at all. Again, practice makes perfect.


Use the hobby knife again to cut off the excess. This saves a lot of material, but of course there is the risk that the milliput will stick to the knife instead.

Let it dry for 24 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment