Monday, December 28, 2020

Dungeon of the Mad Mage: Yek must die

We started the last session before the winter holidays drained of resources and having almost completed level 2 of the dungeon. Almost.

I had thought of an ingenious plan[1] to take our revenge on the goblin chief who had so humiliated us: convince Rizzy to create a diversion with his wererats, while we go to see Yek and give him the Xanatar insignias; we kill Yek and take over the bazaar; we leave Rizzy in charge.

Step 1, we went to see Rizzy and gave him the heads of the Xanatar chieftains. He was quite happy[2]. Thus prepared, I asked Selene to explain the plan to Rizzy[3] at which she failed spectacularly. We somehow dragged the conversation back on track. The dark elf did not wish to become the frontman of any sales operation, but agreed to lend us some wererats if we got somebody to take over the bazaar. Step 1 failed successfully.

As we prepared to return to the surface, we went to see Midna so she could accompany us. She was not there, and her tracks led to Yek's encampment. Sucker.

We returned to the surface to sell our crap[4] and rest. Then we went to see the local Zhentarim boss and convince him of his plan. Again, I let Selene speak and I came to regret it immediately, as she promised heaps of loot and treasure in exchange for help. The boss agreed to take over the bazaar and give no other help, in exchange for loot. Step 2 failed successfully.

With a written word from the boss, we went to Rizzy who gave me 10 wererats. I set them up at the southern entrance to the goblin town. With telepathy not working in the dungeon, I left my owl with them to give the signal to attack.

We entered the encampment, and met Yek on his throne in the middle of the market[5] surrounded by guards and a chained Midna and a dwarf. I greeted him and offered the Xanatar insignias. While he was inspecting them, I possessed my owl to signal the wererats. They burst in and wreaked havoc, attracting the guards. It went bad for them, unfortunately - 8 out of 10 died.

As soon as the guards left, I signaled Tari who shot Yek point blank range. I lit him up with Faerie Fire and the skeletons all shot him, then a Fireball from Selene finished him off. Midna died. Step 3 failed successfully.

At this point the surrounding guards seemed more interested in getting paid then fighting - their employer had died. I promised them payment. They stayed. However, the vendor goblins gathered their stuff and ran way. Step 4 failed successfully.

Selene tried to talk to the dwarf, but he got angry and left. Oh well, who cares. So much for the Fine Fellows of Daggerford.

We got down to looting the place. Selene took Yek's crown, then entered the throne room to find nothing of value. I myself took the treasure chamber, taking 2000 silver pieces from a chest and some random jewels off stuffed goblins fighting a stuff beholder. Quite the taxidermist, this Yek.

I decided to pay the guards out of my own pocket, giving them a bonus to put in a good word with the rest of the goblins. They can safely return to work for the new boss. The guards were happy to get paid, all's well that ends well.

We returned to the Zhentarim boss who was not impressed with the money[6], but he was happy to receive the crown as well. Step 5 failed successfully. Rizzy was also disturbed by the heavy losses he incurred, but all is for the greater good of the Black Network. I gifted him with a light crossbow as a parting gift.

With this, we descended to level 3.

In the first room, we found ourselves in a dwarven cemetery. Unfortunately, the skeletons broke apart at our touch. The tombs contained nothing more then colored stone beads.

Next, a dead fellow with a nasty chest wound. Apparently, something burst out of his chest.[7]

A dead end concealed 4 gricks who descended upon us from the ceiling, but were swiftly cut down.

In the other direction, now familiar giant spiderwebs and 4 unfamiliar humanoid monsters. We killed 3 but 1 ran away. Then Selene stood in the room alone for 1 minute, while her chaos table effects ended. She came out bald and with a vibrant blue skin, which I complimented.

See you next year!

[1] Fortune favors the bold, or the stupid.
[2] +3 renown for the Zhentarim members.
[3] +8 Persuasion, or something ridiculous of the sort.
[4] And invest the money into better equipment for my undead minions.
[5] Not what I expected, crap.
[6] I gave him his promised half.
[7] Xenomorph?

No comments:

Post a Comment