Thursday, December 3, 2020

Skull bases for Slaughterpriests

Introduction

I want my Slaughterpriests to stand on a mound of skulls. Not a mound made of skulls - that would be excessive - but something like this Bloodmaster. Except I want some giant skulls, too. Grab the Citadel Skulls set, and let's get to work.

Giant skulls

These are, well, big. I debated on how to handle this. I could either make the Slaughterpriests stand at an angle, or perhaps cut away the stuff they're standing on with one leg. But there's already some skulls there... so I rather built up the mound. 

Pin the left leg, and glue some bits of sprue beneath the right leg.


Pin goes into the giant skull. Sprue tower goes on base. This was of course dry fit, so I knew how tall the sprue tower should be.


I got overzealous and drilled through the foot. Oh well.


Same idea with the other guy.


Hole filling

Thanks to some new clay shapers I got, I was able to fill the hole perfectly with a bit of watered down milliput.


Build up the mound

Of course I forgot to take step by step pictures, but this is how it went: I put some superglue on the base. I applied large pieces of home made putty by hand, and roughly pushed them into place and shape with my wet fingers. I then took skulls one by one, and attached them to the base using superglue. Warning: glue the skulls, not the putty, otherwise you might pull out pieces of putty and have them solidify attached to your glue dispenser. Rough up the putty using an old wet brush, by stabbing the brush into the putty to create texture. Alternatively, use clay shapers; I tried to roughly imitate the rocks the hackblade priest is standing on. I also used the brush to slather some watered down putty unto the giant skulls, like they have been there for a while and dirt started gathering on them.

Wait 24 hours.

I applied more superglue around the skulls, and where the putty meets the base. This left weird white vapors on the rim, but the painting stage is up next, where this will be covered up.












No comments:

Post a Comment