Monday, July 12, 2021

Khorne vs Kharadron Overlords, 2021.07.08

Introduction

My first Age of Sigmar game since October and my first ever 3rd edition game, back against my old foes: the Kharadron Overlords, in a 1000 point game of Burn and Pillage.


Kharadron, turn 1

The opening shots belonged to the Overlords (hue hue hue... sadface) thanks to their one-drop Battle regiment. They kept back in control of their precious objectives, and shot at long range, dropping Arbra'Gax the Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster to 6 wounds.

Khorne, turn 1

I surged forwards, after healing the Bloodthirster for a grand total of... 2 wounds. The Flesh Hounds took the middle, but long range charges failed.

Kharadron, turn 2

The Ironclad flew high (the guy at the steering wheel lighting a joint) and landed, along with its hitchhikers, behind my lines. Arbra'Gax was the first to die, although not to the Phosphorite Bomblets. A second punishing salvo eliminated the Bloodreavers and the Slaughterpriest. Good news: Blood Tithe! Better news: with nothing to charge, the objective stayed under my control.

Khorne, turn 2

The Flesh Hounds ran At the Double, taking and pillaging the backfield objective. The Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury (who is slowly earning his name) first summoned a group of Bloodletters to eat the Kharadron shooting (Unleash Hell obviously)...

...

...then charged in for the kill. Although Bloodthirsters disappoint me time and time again. He couldn't kill the group of 10 Arcanauts on his own, not even with the Lash attacks and stomps included. Luckily, the 3 surviving Bloodletters inflicted a mortal wound before disappearing back to the Realm of Chaos. Blood Tithe!

Kharadron, turn 3

No luck for Khorne as the Kharadron once again won priority. The Ironclad steersman once again lighted a joint, this time in the hero phase, then closed in for the kill.

The shooting was awesome, but a combination of Finest Hour and All out Defense let the Bloodthirster weather it with 1 wound remaining. The two infantry squads charged in, while the Ironclad failed with no hero nearby to reroll.

Fighting first thanks to the Halo of Blood, the 'thirster cut down the Arcanauts, then died to the Endrinriggers. RIP. In the meantime, the Endrinmaster pillaged my backfield objective.

Khorne, turn 3

Spite play time! And maybe a bit of hope, as I chose my grand strategy to kill the enemy warlord. I summoned 10 Bloodletters, but charged in with the Flesh Hounds first, to eat the Unleash Hell. Of course, Bloodletters being Bloodletters, they were unable to eat the flying dwarf.

Kharadron, turn 4

Still no priority for me, allowing the Ironclad pilot to go through all his stash of weed (when I run out of alternate ways of phrasing this, I'll stop) and save the boss.

Khorne, turn 4

I now had just enough Blood Tithe to try that again, with only 5 Bloodletters this time. They failed their rerollable 9" charge, and I extended the hand of surrender. We were at 1 point difference at the end of turn 4, but of course with none of my models present on the table for turn 5, the Overlords could easily take the lead.


Final thoughts

Not as depressing as the Lumineth, but the Kharadron still pose a very tough fight. I know of at least two mistakes that I did: I should have pillaged the backfield objective, but I hoped against hope that my general would survive. And he should have done a Heroic Recovery instead of getting a CP in the previous phase, as the dwarves killed him just down to 0 wounds. If he had survived, some things might have gone down differently.

Otherwise the new edition brings some extra bookkeeping, but after a couple of turns I already got the hang of it. The buffs to monsters are very welcome, although Bloodthirsters still suck.

Playing Khorne is crazy fun, and we laughed together whenever something of mine died and I happily screamed: BLOOD TITHE!

No comments:

Post a Comment