Thursday, July 8, 2021

Painting magic portals (using a wet palette)

Introduction

One of these 3D printed portals has been sitting in my backlog for about a year now. I just had no idea how to start, with the specification being a dungeon view on one side, and a forest on the other, both patchy - as through a portal.


Preamble

I got the spark of an idea after watching this video. Now, I don't follow the instructions exactly. I used a larger brush and, with the paints severely diluted, the paint strokes aren't that visible. I also experimented with waiting for the previous layers to dry, as well as wet blending the edges, and glazing here and there. So I guess... more like wet stipling?

I also made my first wet palette, as described here. It sure helps blending, although I am not sure how this would work during regular painting, as Vallejo paints are already pretty diluted, and they just got watery after some time.

Painting landscapes

I took inspiration from a couple of painting hanging around the house, which incidentally use the same visible-strokes-technique.

Start with a basecoat of Heavy Green.

The first batch of colors included all the greens and blues and turquoises.

Then some browns for the tree trunks and lighter greens for foliage.

Here, I diverged into blues, white and Stonewall Grey for the cloudy sky.

Same idea as before.

But more browns, diverging into the yellow spectrum for the trees.

Painting dungeon views

After looking around the internet for inspiration, here's what I came up with.

Charred Brown to Ultramarine Blue (sorry for the glare).

Then add the light sources that make this part of the dungeon brown instead of blue darkness. Glaze around the fires with the remaining orange.

Then glaze around with red.

This one exhausted my turqoise palette, mixed with black and white. The view should represent a cavern with stalactites and stalagmites in the foreground, pillars in the mid distance, and darkness in the background.

For the last one, I painted a grey gradient, then sketched a doorway in the middle.

Brown to yellow gradient inside the door, as well as grey to yellow in front, simulating light spilling from the inside. I revised my grey gradient as well, making the lightest point right around the door. Sketch the iron bars using Black Templar after everything dried.

No comments:

Post a Comment