Thursday, February 8, 2024

Painting LOTR orc leaders

Grishnakh, Lurtz and Gothmog had been sneakily hiding in a box until now. In the movies they are mostly black armed and armored. Now if you look for screenshots, some items of clothing, fur and hair have tints of dirty brown. In art, the reddish orc skin is quite red/copper. However, if you just look at the movies, they seem almost completely... just black. So here's an exercise in black.

Painting

Prime black.

For the reddish skin, I started something based on Dark skin. Grishnakh seems darker of skin, so I did highlights with a suite of darker colors, starting with Dark Fleshtone instead of mixing it with Tan. Lurtz seems lighter, so I washed his skin Reikland Fleshshade instead of Agrax Earthshade. This was barely visible, so I went further with the highlights.



Gothmog has weird pasty skin. I basecoated Cold Grey, washed it Reikland Fleshshade, then... got lost and did highlights using Heavy Warmgrey. Also forgot to take pictures.

I then painted the Black cloth and/or leather. At the same time I painted the wooden bow and the hair/fur.

The bow is again, just black, in the movie. I gave it a coat of Agrax Earthshade for color variance. I did the final highlights with Heavy Grey on the fur/hair to introduce some dirt, but it wasn't quite enough so I coated it all with Ratling Grime. Just a hint of brown, but it would have worked better if the base wasn't flat black.

Weird white hair. Just highlight some strands white.

At the same time do the hand of Saruman - base Grey Seer, highlight Dead White.

I initially thought to do the armor Dark metal, but why re-coat everything when it's already black. I edged everything Chainmail Silver. It's rough but great for orcs, I think.

The only other light spots were the arrows and fletching. I drew the arrows and feathers using whatever light brown I had on my wet palette, then drenched the arrows Aggaros Dunes.

Basing

Woodland base. 

Finished!





No comments:

Post a Comment