Thursday, April 25, 2019

Fixing the wings of a plague drone

Introduction


Back in the very first days of my wargaming hobby, I went on an ebay shopping spree to jump-start my army. Some of those scrap lots and models are still in their original state, as I learned how bad they perform on the tabletop and lost all incentive to fix them. Among them was a trio of Plague Drones, one of which was missing a wing. With the recent surge of painting Nurgle models and the skills I acquired in the mean time, I decided it was high time to fix it.

Recasting the wing


There is no way to dance around this, as I'm not a professional sculptor and couldn't get something like this done in any other way. I used green stuff instead of milliput to obtain a flexible, thin cast.

Of course it's nowhere near the original in quality. On this side, I tried sculpting veins to imitate the other, recast side, using sculpting tools, toothpicks and the hobby knife.



This is the culprit. I still blame myself for not noticing this in the original listing.


Prepare by rolling a ball of green stuff and attaching to the end of the recast wing.


Stick it into place.


I set it down to dry and noticed about 10 minutes later that the wing sagged. So I propped it up:


That's it! On to painting (possibly in the near future).

No comments:

Post a Comment