Thursday, April 11, 2019

Painting a spell familiar: imp holding a book

Introduction


I found an imp holding a book on its back among my collection of unpainted minis, and I thought to paint it (for as of yet undisclosed reasons).

Painting


I started with green orc skin.


Since this is going to be part of a special design (still undisclosed), I went further and highlighted again with Dead Flesh.


I painted the cover of the book as medium leather. I painted the other details in parallel, and washed everything at the Agrax Earthshade step:

  • skull on the book: Bright Bronze, Agrax Earthshade, Polished Gold
  • teeth: Bonewhite, Agrax Earthshade, Bonewhite
  • nails and hair: Stonewall Grey, Agrax Earthshade, Stonewall Grey
  • bookmark: Heavy Red, Agrax Earthshade, Fresh Blood (Reaper)



I painted the pages in Bonewhite, also washed Agrax, then highlighted with Bonewhite using stipling. I like this resulting grainy texture.


I painted the eyes Heavy Orange, then washed Carroburg Crimson. I initially wanted to do Heavy Orange pupils, but the subtle glow effect gives the imp an otherworldly feel, so I left it at that. (Thanks to my wife for the tip.)


Apply matt varnish to the model. Then all that's left is the writing. I used Blood for the Blood God!, hence the varnish first, to preserve the bloody shine.

Oh look, a chaos star. And the letters form the word LORGAR.


No comments:

Post a Comment