Thursday, November 14, 2019

Painting a Unicorn

Introduction


Another short project and part of a new initiative: the new miniatures that I buy immediately go on my to-do list! 
Initially I thought of a rainbow color scheme, but decided against mocking the miniature. My next inspiration was the classic look of the Heroes 3 War Unicorn.


Painting


I had some strange things happen when spray priming Reaper Bones, so I went with a white primer applied by brush. This still applied strangely, but I think it was due to being diluted. Whenever I left it undiluted (going against the grain!), everything was fine.

I tried the warm white look on the skin. All highlights were applied as glazes. This mitigated the rough look of layering on round surfaces.


The mane, tail and other hair was done like blond hair. The horn and hooves are bone
The inside of the mouth was done simply: Warlord Purple basecoat, Squid Pink highlights, Carroburg Crimson wash.
On a whim, I tried out doing the eyes with Black Templar.


A simple grey progression on the rock: Cold Grey basecoat, black wash, Stonewall Grey drybrush.


Basing



Finished!







1 comment: